HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Shooting from a tree stand... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/9530-shooting-tree-stand.html)

Brian_Mc 09-13-2002 08:02 PM

Shooting from a tree stand...

I haven't had a chance to try shooting from my stand yet, but I plan too. When I get the chance, I need to understand how to judge my distance to the target (which pin to use). I've heard that when your in a tree stand you actually use the distance like your on the ground. (I hope that makes sense.) Is this correct? Any web sites that have some info., pix, etc.?

VAhuntr 09-13-2002 09:01 PM

RE: Shooting from a tree stand...

I use the same yardage as from the ground. Be sure to bend at the waist, and not just drop your bow arm to line up your sights. If I don't bend at the waist, I have found that I shoot high.

chef#1 09-14-2002 08:50 AM

HEY B !!!!!!

YOU MUST PRACTICE FROM YOUR STAND. THE YARDAGES ARE THE SAME AS ON THE GROUND BUT YOU MUST REMEMBER TO BEND AT THE WAIST TO MAKE THE SHOT.

PRACTICE WILL ALSO MAKE YOU FEEL MORE COMFORTABLE IN THE TREE SO WHEN CHESTER WALKS BYE YOU WILL NOT GET ALL FLUSTERED AND FALL OUT OF THE TREE.

HUNT ON HUNT HARD AND EAT WELL

VAhuntr 09-14-2002 09:18 AM

chef#1 brings up an excellent point....practice from an elevated stand. My hunting buddies and I use a stand in the woods and move a 3D deer target around in the woods. It is great practice.

Dacotah 09-14-2002 09:26 AM

VA and chef are right. Pretend there is a triangle from your stand to the target to the base of your tree. Gravity only affects the horizontal portion of the arrow flight. So the correct yardage is the distance from the base of the tree to the target. Then bend at the waist to make the shot. If you absolutly can't practice beforehand, I'd take an extra arrow with a field point and take a shot into the base of a nearby tree when you first get out there. Make sure you spray the arrow down with no-scent before, and just leave it there to avoid stinking up the place. At least then your very first shot won't be at an animal.

Brian_Mc 09-14-2002 10:26 AM

Thanks for the info, everyone.

Hey Dacotah, I'm planning to practice from the tree, but the idea of a field tip on the morning of makes sense (not scents, of course!). That would give this newbie alot more confidence on the given day!

jevan 09-14-2002 10:43 AM

I installed a keller pend last year, I am slamming arrows all the way out to 45yards and all I do is just place the pin and shoot, I have a terrable time estimating yardages but the site doe`s it for you

Evan
Archery Accessories
301-872-0110

Brian_Mc 09-14-2002 10:59 AM

I don't know much about the pendilum sights. Can someone explain how you set one? Does the height in the tree matter? What are their limitations from the ground? I plan to hunt both ground blinds and tree stands this season.

This may need it's own thread!?!

jevan 09-14-2002 04:17 PM

brian, I shot mine in at 20 yards on the ground to get the left/right in, I put the base of my stand @ 20 feet so I am shooting about 25 feet from my riser, the keller directions say it is good from 12-30 feet up and from 0-30 out, I am shooting 300fps so I am a little quicker then most. I can shoot out to 46yards dead on, then I have to raise the pin on target at longer targets, but from 3 yards benith my stand it hits in the bulls eye, the only thing I dont like about it is when I lock it in for shooting on the ground the pin is almost covered but with a slower bow you should not have this problem, and with it locked in for ground shooting the built in light will not light up the pin because the pin is too far fwd on the sight housing where the light is mounted

Evan
Archery Accessories
301-872-0110

Texas Hunter 09-14-2002 05:10 PM

I shoot from my tree stand during off season from all ranges. I also
shoot in my backyard from all ranges, I have not really noticed any
difference in the elevated shot, however it really does give you a little piece of mind knowing that you can shoot from your stand