HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Question about sights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/94558-question-about-sights.html)

fatsbucknut 03-19-2005 03:10 PM

Question about sights

Are there any downfalls to the single pin slider sights, that allow you to adjust for distance? I have found that i shoot best when i only have one pin, and in the heat of the action i get kinda excited. I have been known to use the wrong pin. Any info in appreciated. Thank you.

Zach

BGfisher 03-19-2005 03:33 PM

RE: Question about sights

I have one now for a couple years. I've shot and huntied with multiple pin sights, target sights, pendelum sight and the present slider, as you call it.

I think it's the better of the ones I've used. As you stated, a single pin that you can't screw up with. Moving it for yardage while shooting 3D or practice is another advantage. Being able to move it while hunting for most of us eastern hardwoods shooters is not a plus. Just like having multiple pins, trying to move one for a particular hunting situation is like suicide. For most hunting I set mine for my 25 yard setting and leave it. With a bow speed around 260-265fps I've found I can shoot anything within 30 yards with a midbody hold. No guessing yardage, no holding high or low. Just aim and shoot. What could be more simple. The only other time I move it is if I'm in more dense cover where I'll set it for 20 yards.

I use the HHA OL-5000. The others, especially those with plastic just don't do mcu for this guy. I want bright, rugges and indestructible. Micro-adjust for windage doesn't hurt either

Are these the "best" there is? Not by a long shot. I just feel they are the most versatile for serving double duty.

ncbowhunter 03-19-2005 04:47 PM

I use one set pin that is good to 30 yrds for hunting. I wont shoot farther than that at an animal anyway.

hunter9022 03-20-2005 02:11 PM

I have the movable Impact Cosmic Ring which has only one pin that can be moved, but i hardly ever move it. Im so use to shooting one pin at a set yardage that i always forget to move it when the time comes. I havnt had any disadvantages to it though.

Deerslayer_37 03-20-2005 03:20 PM

I've shot several different multiple pin sights but i've settled on a single pin. HHA OL-5000. Extremely bright, and i shoot fast enough so i dont have to adjust it until i hit roughly 30 yards. Great sight. I like it because i know i dont have to make decisions. I did that when i had a 3 pin and picked the wrong pin. No more in between pins. Just settle the pin mid body and squeeze the trigger.

slayer

4wheeldrive 03-20-2005 03:26 PM

i shoot with one pin also i feel comfortable out to around thirty yards

fatsbucknut 03-21-2005 01:30 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.

Double Creek 03-21-2005 02:31 PM

I guess I've been using one for 10 years give or take. I love it and its the only thing I would use.