Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 first bowhunt for boar >

first bowhunt for boar

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

first bowhunt for boar

Old 03-23-2005, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: first bowhunt for boar

i'm going to agree with using the fixed blades....i shot one last year that we (huntnma and i) ended up trailin' for hours....it looked like an awesome hit and the blood trail was awesome...just never found it...seemed as though the blood just stopped completely....it's a lot of hard work but soooo worth it.

drstalker~my nephew quides for Osceola Outfitters...by chance did you hunt with "drew" when you hunted here? they do have a nice lil set up...i refer them to anyone and everyone....how was your experiene with them?
Old 03-23-2005, 07:21 AM

Well, I know a lot of hog guides like the fixed bladed heads the best, but this guide doesn't. He also told me of using it Africa on four different species with great success. A friend of his also used a mechanical head on a large cape buffalo with no problems.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am surprised about the broadhead your guide recommends-not that it is not a good one. I have taken several hogs in the last 3 years & use a 3 blade 125gr. fixed blade Rocky Mountain. Your Muzzy should do an excellent job. I will be after them in 3 days in Texas for a week. good luck on your hunt.

Old 03-23-2005, 08:02 AM

I shot five this year useing N.A.P spitfire XP pro's 100 (Mechanicals). All were pass throughs all whent down within sight but one. I did shoot one with the ole Muzzys 125's I had laying around, the arrow whent in 4 inches with the same set up! If you get the chance try them. One of the pigs, the N.A.P whent through both armur plates on the shoulders both shoulder blades and cut through four ribs before eating the dirt. Five pigs and two eight pointers I'll never look back. EXPERMENT!

Old 03-23-2005, 11:17 AM

ahunter55,
You know, the only thing I don't like about the Muzzys that I have, is that they don't have the same point-of-impact as my target points.

With the mechanical heads that I've tried, they hit right with my targets.

NICE PICTURE!

Flat Feet,
Thanks for the alternate view. I think it's great to see both sides. I'm glad to hear that you have had good luck with mechanicals. I'm going to use them so I can quit changing my sight pins.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

Flhuntress,I don't rember drew for sure ,I remember Scott,that had the jack russle named zippy,and sister the hound,also Dave was another of the guides then.I'm like you I would recomend hog hunting with Hoppy and the crew anytime.He's a crack up too.I had an excellent time and talk about intense huntingI can't wait to go this June.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:59 PM

here is a 500 pounder

Old 03-24-2005, 03:12 PM

I took my first hog this past weekend in Tennessee using fixed blade 100 gr. NAP Razorback broad heads. I can see where mechanical heads would be really out of place on a hog hunt. I learned several valuable lessons this weekend, foremost being….if you are hunting with dogs, you need to be in reasonably good shape (I am still sore) but it was fun. I found there is a big difference between setting in a tree stand vs. chasing dogs thru the hills all day.

Shot placement is another big thing. I didn’t realize their vitals are so low on the body so like Amanita said, aim for the heart.

Btw….Amanita thanks for your advice about broad heads a few weeks ago. I really appreciated your help.

Old 03-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, nice hog Kyhunter2004! Looks like it will be good eating too. Congrats! (and I'm glad I could help!)

High Tine, that's a giant pig.. did you shoot it?
Old 03-25-2005, 07:05 AM

Hey guys I don't want an arguement here, but have you actualy used them or are you refering on other info? Down here in Good ole Georgia we can hunt them hogs year round. The only bad experiance I have had with broadheads was with a 125 gr Muzzy (poor penetration ). The mechincals I shoot have always ended up passing through with no damage what so ever, includeing a 250lbs double shoulder pass through? Please give some info or photos, thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: first bowhunt for boar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.