Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who is in favor of 4points on atleast one side minimum? >

Who is in favor of 4points on atleast one side minimum?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who is in favor of 4points on atleast one side minimum?

Old 03-20-2005, 08:17 AM

Default RE: Who is in favor of 4points on atleast one side minimum?

Spreading the word and talking to people about using common sense to improve the quality of animals in the herds is one thing.

As a land owner about (500acres) I talk with everyone That owns land in a 5 mile radius Every year about deer hunting and QDMA and passin up smaller bucks and they all agree that is the way to go, evryone is in favor of that. But when ass clowns that hunt 6 days a year shotgun only see a deer in front of them no matter how big it is they get all excited and start hammerin the trigger.

I filmed and watched alot of bucks ranging from forks to 120" 9pts. Most of them I saw again at the registation office dead, killed from the same people that agreed to particiapate the herd management QDMA.

What people want and what people do is two differnt things. Yes, Getting people to make their own decision is the best way. But It is not the realistic way. Maybe for most of us here that can understand what it takes to make trophy hunting better, But I would say that 80% of deer hunters that get their Sh#t ready for the hunting season the weekend before, Don't Give a rats ass enough to practice self control.

This Is what happens around S.E.MN Not just my hunting areas but mostly all over.

Just my .02

HIGH TINE
Old 03-20-2005, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe for most of us here that can understand what it takes to make trophy hunting better, But I would say that 80% of deer hunters that get their Sh#t ready for the hunting season the weekend before, Don't Give a rats ass enough to practice self control.
High Tine,
Did it ever occur to you that there are deer hunters that don't give a rats a$$ about trophy hunting? And as long as what they are doing is legal, its none of your business.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm for people hunting for their own enjoyment.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

where I live any deer that you shoot is a trophy. We talk about deer by mass, how much they wiegh. And obviously when someone shoots a nice rack it is a big deal. But here you dont pass up what the deer gods put in front of you cuz you might only see one deer in range every 12 trips to your stand, including on the way in. Some guys I know hunt farms more south and other places were they see alot more and are able to use more discretion in what they shoot. As for here meet in the freezer is a good thing.

jim
Old 03-21-2005, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

In our small club we say that the second buck has to have more points than the first. Arkansas has a three point on one side rule and the only six that we've shot in the last three years had a 20" spread. This system has worked pretty well for us.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have my vote.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Sylvan
High Tine,
Did it ever occur to you that there are deer hunters that don't give a rats a$$ about trophy hunting? And as long as what they are doing is legal, its none of your business.
[/quote]

Thanks for your opinion.

They can do whatever they want. It's just sad to see them mow down bambi year after year when there are more than enough deer mature deer to harvest easily. With a little bit of common sense a guy can easily and leagally bag 5 deer per season.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:00 PM

Bump
Old 03-25-2005, 06:00 AM

Default RE: Who is in favor of 4points on at least one side minimum?

ORIGINAL: High Tine
they all agree that is the way to go, everyone is in favor of that. But when ass clowns that hunt 6 days a year shotgun only see a deer in front of them no matter how big it is they get all excited and start hammering the trigger.
This Is what happens around S.E.MN Not just my hunting areas but mostly all over.

Just my .02

HIGH TINE
HighTine,
Do you think that a new law will stop them from hammering every deer they see.
This type of hunter will shoot first then go look & if it is to small they will walk away & leave it lay (wasted).
I am not against QDM or AR's really I just don't think we need a law for them just use self control & as I said above some won't care no matter what!

I also think that the guys or gals that agree to do it then don't would not come back to hunt on my land again.
After all they agreed to before the hunt so they broke the( law)or rule that they self imposed.
Do you really think a state law would stop them. I think not.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:39 AM

I disagree with having to force people to shoot a certain size buck.
Also, AR doesnt always necessarily work, because as mentioned, it doesnt protect all younger animals. It may infact cause the overharvest of young bucks with better genes.

HOWEVER, I see its benefits as well. In my home state of NJ, we are allowed to harvest up to SIX bucks a year. The only limit on the size of antler is; "One side must have 3" of antler or more."

The attitude of most hunters around here is; I have six tags, and anything is legal, so who cares....pound em all. People do it too.

I want to change the regulations to include a maximum of three buck tags per year. Two of those tags should have antler restrictions. (4pt)

I understand that some of the good sized young bucks could be harvested under this plan. But they are able to be killed in force under the current management plan anyhow. Under my plan they will be protected, if only by the amount harvested.

Most of our 1.5 yr old bucks in NJ are 6pts. (fours with brow-tines) So the majority of them will make it to their second year with AR in place. While the second year isnt an optimal time to harvest them either, they will have survived a year of hunting pressure. This should make them slightly harder to kill. Possibly allowing them to reach 3.5, and so on and so forth.

I have seen the benefits of AR in select regions of NJ, and it can work in certain areas (States).

With a doe management plan working alongside the AR. You can see the benefits much sooner.

After hunters see the results of passing younger bucks, and allowing them to further their potential, you can eventually lift the AR. Allowing hunters to use their new found understanding of QDM to impact their judgement of what animals to harvest.

While Antler Restrictions arent necessarily the right answer, they are usually a foot in the door. Helping to change hunters attitudes. Allowing them to see the benefits of passing on younger bucks, and harvesting the correct amount of does. Enabling the herd to become healthier and more balanced.

Have a good one---Matt

Quick Reply: Who is in favor of 4points on atleast one side minimum?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.