Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who is in favor of 4points on atleast one side minimum? >

Who is in favor of 4points on atleast one side minimum?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who is in favor of 4points on atleast one side minimum?

Old 03-17-2005, 05:18 PM

Default RE: Who is in favor of 4 points on at least one side minimum?

ORIGINAL: fastfire

I think that we don't need more laws we all just need to practice more self control on what we harvest.
Not to start a fight but thats what is a matter with this country is to many meaningless laws.
This law would not do anything but get bigger racks & do nothing for deer herd management just look at PA.
i agree some places u are just not going to get 4 points on a side some plaes like mine in vermont u will see big bodied deer but not much antler just my 2c
Old 03-17-2005, 05:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Who is in favor of 4points on atleast one side minimum?

I would but it really doesn't matter. Keep looking for the right place to hunt and it won't matter.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:52 PM

Default RE: Who is in favor of 4points on at least one side minimum?

ORIGINAL: bowhunterlimerick

in an earlier post somebody said "it will do nothing for the deer heard just look at pa" hahaah yea just look at us about a 300% increase in deer over 100 inches from 4 years ago when the antler restrictions started THEY WORK AND THEY WORK BIG TIME!! our deer heard is in the best shape its ever been in
First let me ask how AR's make the herd in the best shape ever It will make big racks but thats about all.
What do AR's have to do with doe harvest nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If what you say is true & we will say it is then tell why so many hunters are saying there are less deer than ever before and if it is in the best shape ever how come so many disagree! I don't hunt PA but I live on the NY PA line & know a lot of people in PA so they all can't be wrong do you think.
I will wait till word gets out that some places in PA have some P&Y
and B&C bucks & when you go to ask for hunting on private property & they tell you it has been leased to who ever from where ever.
I still think that PA did AR so the can get in on the out of state
lic. hunter for big $ remember not only the lic. cost but they will also spend money in the area they are going to hunt (food, supplies & so on.
I may be wrong & I hope I am but one thing for sure TIME WILL TELL!!!!!
Old 03-17-2005, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

If what you say is true & we will say it is then tell why so many hunters are saying there are less deer than ever before and if it is in the best shape ever how come so many disagree!
That was the whole idea of the AR's. Cutting down the buck harvest inturn would lead to an increased age structure of the bucks. Also, provide more doe tags to get the buck to doe ratio in check.

The AR's have worked as planned in PA. They disagree with the AR's because they aren't seeing the high numbers of deer like in the past. But, that goes hand in hand with the AR's PA put in place.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

What does eveyone think about a law where you can only kill a buck with atleast four points on one side of his head?
NO
Old 03-18-2005, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would think by not being able to take a younger say 6 point, someone would shoot a doe instead to get meat for the year. Therefore taking a doe instead of a young buck. Granted not everyone will do this but I think it would increase the doe harvest somewhat.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

Again, I will stress educating hunters to NOT shooting yearling bucks at all
That sums it up. Antler restrictions, as far as "point counting", simply removes your best genes from the herd. You have a yearling 8pt that is legal and WHACK. 2 days later the hunter is saying he will never kill a P&Y animal.....well he/she actually just did, but they didn't wait until the animal was mature to do it.

Restrictions should start with EDUCATION on helping hunters determine the differences between immature and mature animals by body characteristics rather than antler characteristics
Old 03-18-2005, 07:09 AM

Do you mean on a state level ? On WMA's or NWR's only ? Macro QDM or just on a few thousand acres ? Private land or public ?
Old 03-18-2005, 08:01 AM

Self-discipline and common sense are long since ago gone the way of the passenger pigeon.

The point restriction regulations work well in many areas. CO has it for deer and elk now in many GMUs, WI had it in the 60 in the northern counties for deer (fork horn or better only) and it worked and now PA is using it with get success.

As far as some one being concerned for young first time hunters, there are several way to deal with that. Doe tags allow them plenty of opportunity and if you "feel" that it is important they can shoot a buck make an exception for them. That is a dumb thing to do because it teaches them nothing about game management or hunting ethics but it might make some people feel better.

They are the Kings deer, not the property of the land owner unless they are operation a high fence game farm. Then they are livestock.

We have all types of hunting regulations to provide saftey and game management so it is not some great intrussion into hunters rights by the government. It is sound game mangement for the future.

It has been tried and it works. I am in favor of it.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Idaho we have areas that allow the taking of smaller bucks. Forked horn or less on an unlimited basis. In order to shoot a larger buck, Better than forkies you need to draw. F&G will allow for one extra point on either side for the smaller bucks. What this does is allow the meat hunters to still be happy and the survivors will get to grow to maturity. In these areas it is not uncommon to see several bucks in the upper 20 inch range with several during the season being over the 30 inch holy grail size. If you are not lucky enough to draw a tag for a trophy buck you can still hunt another area with general regulations and still have a decent chance at shooting any nice buck.

Quick Reply: Who is in favor of 4points on atleast one side minimum?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.