Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you support a doe only season... >

Would you support a doe only season...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you support a doe only season...

Old 03-16-2005, 10:27 AM

Default RE: Would you support a doe only season...

Maybe if it was only like the first two weeks prior to regular season. We've got the good bucks but we need to adjust the doe to buck ratio.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

I certainly would as long as it was very well managed and opened up in the correct areas. Like a few have said, there are many areas that don't need extra doe taken out, but many areas that could support such a hunt.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like a few have said, there are many areas that don't need extra doe taken out, but many areas that could support such a hunt.
I can see what you are saying and somewhat agree but........ In this hypothetical situation I am not talking about giving extra doe tags to an area or state, just eliminating the buck harvest for a year.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

I think a doe only season or two would be fine with me. Where I live in Missouri there are very few bucks compared to the amount of does. But I am sure in other parts of the state it is near even. I guess you would have to trust you conservation departments choice on what areas should have this way of hunting and other areas have a different type of season. Like I said about the area whree I live it is way out of wack but we only have large population of deer in places and and a few in others not alot of woods but a lot of farm ground and we have very little state woods so it would be very hard to do this. But so many people say leave the does alone so we can get more deer but they will shot that spike just because he is a buck and I get alot of flack from people for killing does but if it is all you are seeing that should tell you something. But I too would have to change my way of hunting I use the saying if it's brown it's down and yes I have taken small bucks but as I have gotten older and a more mature hunter I have passed on alot of small buck but if a doe walks by well it game on. Just my two cents
Old 03-16-2005, 11:18 AM

Statewide....? Absolutely not. That would be a knee jerk reaction. In my area (middle of the Lake Superior snow belt) the winter kill and wolf predation takes care of the herd just fine. Not a whole lot of deer, but a good buck to doe ratio. Other parts of the state...yep! A doe only season would be appropriate.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

I can see what you are saying and somewhat agree but........ In this hypothetical situation I am not talking about giving extra doe tags to an area or state, just eliminating the buck harvest for a year.

I would definetly support a doe only season. Here in Wisconsin I see so many hunters shoot small spikes, forks, six's and let the does that were with them go untouched. That makes no sence to me at all. If you want the meat that bad shoot the does. What an awsome trophy state we would have after only one year of this, not to mention getting the buck to doe ratio back in order.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:28 AM

I wouldn't. I don't agree with antler harvest regulations (put in place by states), so I'm not going to bite on this one. On your property that is great, manage however you want to manage (mainly for monsters), but everyone has different goals. I had 2 small bucks killed on my property this year. A 6 pointer and a basket 8 pointer. They were not monsters, but they were monsters in those kids eyes. I don't think a doe would put the same feeling in those kids. Both are going hunting with me again this year. Had they shot does, i don't know if they would be hunting this year. I wouldn't shoot small bucks, and I think most people that have killed a deer before shouldn't (This excludeds kids, elderly, and disabled IMO). How would a kid feel if the first time in the woods to hunt a buck comes along, and you say can't shoot that one, it's against the law?

Very interesting post Buckeye. I think statewide no on private property yes.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its what we need in Florida , Excellent idea. Being allowed to kill a buck a day , every day of season is just ridiculous . Our regs are a joke .
Old 03-16-2005, 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

I do shoot does. As a matter of fact all I shot this year was does (6). I passed up SEVERAL small bucks that were legal but for me personally there is no sense killing a small buck. I can just kill does for meat and hopefully the small buck will be bigger next year. He might still get killed anyway but at least I have done my part to help him get there.
I'm right there with silentassassin on this one. (Except the 6 doe part you dirty so-and-so!)I took a pair and passed on a six and a four. Someone else might have taken those 2, but if I shoot them they are definetly dead and that someone might take another immature buck.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:08 PM

YES!!! My uncle knows he can't MAKE people take a doe before a buck, but I believe he tells everyone who asks to hunt his land to take at least one or two does regardless of it they get a buck.

Like others have said...when season begins I take the first good piece of meat that walks my way....in fact, if I have a preference I'll take 130# doe over a 140# buck (provided he's not 10# of antlers )

Quick Reply: Would you support a doe only season...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.