Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 please tell me just one negative to crossbows >

please tell me just one negative to crossbows

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

please tell me just one negative to crossbows

Old 03-20-2005, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: please tell me just one negative to crossbows

It is interesting that the choice of devices to propel a given projectile can be the source of so many opinions. At the same time, I think it is fair to say that certain types of sporting endeavors attract certain personality types.

For example, I have been musky fishing for years and I can tell you that it is not for everyone. Most people lack the patience and discipline (some call it stupidity) to work so hard to catch a particular species of fish.

Therefore, I think that you could safely say that the crossbow attracts people that want far, far, less challenge in their hunting experience. Yea, I know, data, you could say the same about the crossbow vs compound.

At any rate, there is certainly truth on both sides of this one as there always has been...

You CANNOT in my opinion, make the argument that we must support crossbows because they make it easier to attract new hunters; that the loss of a hunters should be offset by simply making available a variety of devices that will ensure higher success rates and therefore higher numbers being attracted to the sport. If you're going to make that argument then just pass out the grenades.

Hunting is on the decline for a variety of reasons and most have nothing whatsoever to do with the types of hunting implements available to the sport.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:15 AM

Therefore, I think that you could safely say that the crossbow attracts people that want far, far, less challenge in their hunting experience. Yea, I know, data, you could say the same about the crossbow vs compound.
Why yes, you CAN say the same thing, can't you ?

On bringing in new hunters ............ rifle hunters thaqt do the two season thing counts as bowhunters. Bowhunting in general gets attacked more so than rifle hutning partially due to lower numbers of bowhunters. Rifle hunters shooting compounds in archery season is a GOOD thing gor archery - and rifle hunters shooting crossbows in archery season is a GOOD thing too.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Whitetail Stalker you stated
You do not have to practice like you do with a comound or recuve bow(10-15 arrows per day) and you do not have to practice form an consistancy at all unlike a real bow where you have to work hard to get decent groupes constantly.
You really have to shoot your compound that much to keep your form and groups consistant?
Old 03-20-2005, 11:41 AM

You really have to shoot your compound that much to keep your form and groups consistant?
Of course he doesn't, he's trying to be outrageous and use it to back an unfounded point.

I went 3 years without shooting a compound and got good enough in about 15 minutes to hunt with.

Compounds are EASY
Old 03-20-2005, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Please tell me just one negative in allowing a seperate season for crossbows!
Old 03-20-2005, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BOWFANATIC

exactly!
Old 03-20-2005, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BOWFANATIC

Quote: datamax

exactly!
Then your "lobbying" for a seperate season for crossbows?

I have no problem with that whatsoever!
Old 03-20-2005, 04:53 PM

They'll be taking away quite a few weeks of archery season. Ya'll probably think that is a negative, don't you ?

That, and you'd be creating two seperate archery seasons .......... why ? Would you force handicap hunters to hunt in archery season #1 or archery season #2 ?

Then your "lobbying" for a seperate season for crossbows?
How can I be when its legal in my state ? It doesn't bother me in the least that they are in archery season, they have absolutely NO impact on my hutning. None, nada, zip and in fact, compounds have more of an impact.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

crossbows should not be allowed to be used for regular archery season, nor should thy have a season of thier own. They should be used by the disabled and during rifle season perhaps. If you don't have enough weapons choices already then perhaps you should take up lawn bowling or throwing those big darts into a hoop
Old 03-20-2005, 07:45 PM

If you don't have enough weapons choices already then perhaps you should take up lawn bowling or throwing those big darts into a hoop
AMEN !

Lets ban the compounds too. If you don't have enough choices with recurves and longbows, to hell with ya ! Go bowling or play darts, something that doesn't take years of time and practice and effort to master.

Hell yeah, I'm with ya man, all the way baby

Quick Reply: please tell me just one negative to crossbows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.