HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Sit or Stand? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/94076-sit-stand.html)

NY Bowhunter 03-15-2005 10:33 AM

Sit or Stand?

Just curious how many of you sit or stand in your treestands while hunting (or a little of both)?? I admit I sit most of the time and feel like I'm being lazy. Problem is I log A LOT of hours on stand during the season. I also feel like I can remain still a lot better sitting than when I'm standing. I am constantly scanning the woods at a distance to get the earliest detection possible to give me the proper moment where I can stand and get ready, but sometimes (as you all know) it doesnt' always work out perfect. I just can't stay motionless too long while standing. Legs get weary and the back starts to ache and I find myself fidgeting.

However there are situations throughout the years where SURPRISE I wish I was in a ready position. Times where I've been handcuffed and couldn't move because I wasn't up and ready with the bow. Do any of you think standing makes a significant difference? If so how the heck do you do it for an entire lenghty hunt? Or do you decrease the time of your hunts?

ELKINMTCWB 03-15-2005 10:37 AM

RE: Sit or Stand?

There is a happy middle you must find.I set in the down time than stand in the best times to see deer.When I am setting if the birds-animals areund me go away or get to looking in one direction I stand up.

rybohunter 03-15-2005 10:39 AM

I sit or stand depending on how I feel. Sometimes legs cramp up and i have to stand. If you have good stand height and placement you can get away with standing and getting into position in most all instances.

RTA47 03-15-2005 10:44 AM

A little of both[&:]

GRIZZLYMAN 03-15-2005 10:49 AM

A little of both. I've learned though, when I stand look around completely and stand slowly. There have been a few times when I've stood up only to see a deer standing right behind me. [:@]

hunter9022 03-15-2005 10:55 AM

Both, mostly sit though. All but one deer that ive shot has been while i was sitting, the one i shot standing i saw when he was jumpin a fence and stood up while he was in the trees. Id rather be comfortable sitting down then on edge while standing up, more relaxing to me.

Washington Hunter 03-15-2005 11:21 AM

I'm generally an all day hunter depending on my schedule so I'm in stand from dark 'till dark most days of the season. I'll stand from about first light to 10:00 and then sit until about 3:00 when I'll stand up again until dark. I practice shooting while sitting down during the summer, so if a deer were to come by during my 'down' time I would have no problem taking the shot.

Talondale 03-15-2005 11:25 AM

I always shoot standing, if possible, but spend most of the time sitting. I stand the first and last hour of the day. Other than that I sit until it becomes uncomfortable. The simple reason is it's easier for me to remain still while sitting. As mentioned before when I stand up and sit down I do so slooooowly.

Rick James 03-15-2005 11:34 AM

I usually shoot standing, but not all the time. I usually stand for the first hour of light and the last hour of light.

silentassassin 03-15-2005 11:47 AM

I do both but I mostly set. Mainly because I feel like I move much less when I am setting. I have been surprised several times but I have always able to stand up and shoot without being detected. You can stand up with deer looking in your direction as long as you do it slowly and in a fluent motion. It's the quick movements that alarm them and allow them to see you. I shoot sitting sitting sometimes also depending on the circumstances. Sitting for me is just more comfortable. I stand up and get the blood circulating every once in a while for 10-30 minutes and then I normally set again for and hour to two hours.