Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many guys stick.... >

How many guys stick....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many guys stick....

Old 03-11-2005, 08:03 PM

Default RE: How many guys stick....

It's like premature ejaculation, it always happens but nobody will admit to it. I've been guilty once or twice.But the last couple of years I've been true to myself.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

How many guys stick to their season goals ALL year long and just don't whack something in the last week of the season to fill a tag?
I have always stuck with my goals/standards regardless of what point
in the season it is. I have never understood this "last week of the
season" mentality, but then, everyone has the right to fill their tags
the way they see fit. I hunted 30+ days during the 2003 season
without drawing my bow on a buck. I had a great season, things
just didn't work out for my 'any sex' tag.

For myself and those I bowhunt with we set a goal of harvesting
mature deer. These animals never see 'mature' if they are taken
out of the herd too soon. Without doubt, this can be a very touchy
subject among deer hunters. I had a 'disagreement' last fall with
a good friend who sees things differently than I do. He has this
"I have to kill something.......I deserve to kill something"
mentality and he inevitably ends up killing a younger buck. Before
the season he agrees with us 100%, but once things get going
it's the same old story and he 'feels bad' after the fact. Unfortunately,
we just aren't on the same page and will have to go our separate
ways when it comes to bowhunting whitetails.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:30 PM

I have to say I set my set my score over 160 inches but I live in a ares with Monster bucks . I hunt only with a Fox longbow and my Wife and I raise fawns for the state of Illinois . I have hunted tradational for 11years and I have only harvested 1 deer in 4 years. I always set my stands at least 100 plus sits a season, watch a lot of deer. Harvested a buck that scored 176 2/8 two years ago. To me it is all about the skill it getting in close to the biggest buck in the woods. Everyone should hunt for thier own reasons. What is a trophy for one is not the same for everyone. The important thin to keep in mind is a kill should not be what it takes to make a hunt. It is all about the hunt,friendships made along the way,That super buck you almost got. I eat tag soup alot and I have never in my 32 years of hunting have a bad hunt. I do set standards and stick to them, the first and last day of season. Good luck to all.
Old 03-12-2005, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

We have management (anterless) tags to fill here in northern MN. So, the first nice size doe I see, goes down. Then I can focuss on whether or not to pass on certain bucks. This year I was fortunate enough to have a nice 8 pointer walk within 20 yds of my stand (first buck I saw). At the end of the gun season, my mom wanted me to fill her tag also. So, I whacked the first deer I saw. It ended up being a very healthy sized spiker. I think my season went pretty well.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I passed on many bucks this year & a couple nice ones. Did not fill my buck tag. Passed many Does but did take one on an antlerless bonus tag-single adult doe (no fawns) & could have filled a 2nd bonus antlerless tag but did not. I gave the Doe to a very needy family.

Old 03-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I stick to my game plan. Put a doe or two in the freezer so I don't starve the off season away and look for a good buck to stick. If I don't get a good buck to offer a shot I'll just shoot a doe.

To me, little antlers look better roaming the woods then they do on my wall or in a pile on my closet.
Couldn't have said it better and that pretty much sums up last season for me. Saw some bucks and hope I get the same opportunity on them this year that I did last. They'll be keepers by upcoming season. Dropped the does (without fawns in toe).
Old 03-12-2005, 04:22 PM

I won't shoot a fawn until the end of Oct
what the h*ll dont shoot fawns unless your poor

I will shoot any doe that walks by(with or without fawns in toe) from opener until the end
the only way i and alot of other people i know shoot does when there is no fawns with them.

you need to reconsider your hunting "goals" for this season
Old 03-12-2005, 06:14 PM
dws

I wouldn't say I set a goal but I do have a plan I stick with. I will always take the first deer excluding fawns that get within a shot I know I can make. I won't take a shot I have any doubts about, but it really doesn't matter to me if it has antlers or not. I consider a rack an extra bonus, but the whole family enjoys the meat. I honestly don't remember the last time I ate tag soup and I have still got a few nice bucks that happened to be the "lucky" ones that filled my sight picture first. When my boys get old enough to hunt with me, I'll let them get the first ones then I will probably be more selective.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

what the h*ll dont shoot fawns unless your poor
I'm not sure what you mean by that, so I can't even comment. Complete sentences usually help out a little bit.

the only way i and alot of other people i know shoot does when there is no fawns with them.

you need to reconsider your hunting "goals" for this season
Fawns should be old enough to live on their own, find food/water and fend for themselves by the time hunting season rolls around(here in MN). If they aren't, they aren't going to make it if mom's around anyway. Do you think that a fawn spends even 80% of their time with a doe to keep watch over them? Find me any published info that there is a higher mortality rate of fawns if mom is shot, hit by a car, killed by a predator or dies from a disease after the fall of the year and I "might" change my goals but I really doubt it.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Xtec- I believe you are right. The fawns in our area do just fine without MaMa. It is just a personal thing with me-I am from the old school & have a heck of a time just shooting a doe even though I know I should. I did fill one bonus antlerless tag this year (first doe since around 1980) but opted not to fill the 2nd. I could & should have as I would have donated the meat to those that really need it as I did the 1st one. I did pass on several bucks & a couple pretty good ones but I had my sights set on 1 of 3 I been chasing for a couple years. I didn't go without meat though-I took a est. 900# Buffalo, couple wild hogs & a Nice Buck from another state.

Quick Reply: How many guys stick....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.