Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting with both eyes open >

Shooting with both eyes open

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting with both eyes open

Old 03-10-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Shooting with both eyes open

From the time I first started shooting I was taught to sight with one eye closed. I have read where there is a big advantage to shooting with both eyes open. How do I teach myself to shoot with both eyes open. How do you look through the peep to the pin to the target and focus on the target. How do you focus on the target? I seem to get the big picture and cannot pinpoint the target with both eyes open. Any suggestions?

Bones
Old 03-10-2005, 12:41 PM

Default RE: Shooting with both eyes open

Some people can do it naturally, I've tried it and I can do it pretty good, but I sometimes still get cross eyed. Also, you have to make sure that your outside eye isn't taking over and doing the aiming, if so you could me in trouble. In the moment of truth, I close one and Get R Done
Old 03-10-2005, 01:02 PM

I shoot with both eyes open but it didn't come easy. I shot right handed and am left eye dominant to make it just a bit more tricky. What worked for me was after coming to full draw and finding my target through my peep, I opened the other eye to see the whole picture. It took the better part of the summer to perfect this technique and yet sometimes I still get crossed. When I do I blink with my left eye, my right eye finds the target with the pin on it and when I open my left eye I again see the whole picture.

Give it a try and don't get discoraged. It takes time and is easier for some then others but it can be done. I find in low light nothing beats shooting with both eyes open.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Adams has a good point. If you are shooting right handed and are right eye dominant it shouldn't take more than a little practice. If you are in the boat he was in though just do it over and over again until it becomes second nature. I was lucky and just started doing it and never looked back. My friend on the other hand spent a half hour at a techno hunt range hitting the wall. He finally gave up working on the bow when they told him he was using the wrong eye
Old 03-10-2005, 03:46 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-10-2005, 05:59 PM

By practice, practice, and more practice...

Oh and more practice....

Old 03-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

If Im just outside practicin, I use two eyes, but if I need to make it count I will use one. My groups seem to get bigger when I have both open. I used to shoot 2 eyes open all the time, and it came pretty naturally, I dont ever rememeber getting crosseyed. [&:]
Old 03-10-2005, 06:52 PM

Heck, don't think I've ever gone cross-eyed either [:-]

Like adams, I shoot right handed, yet I'm left eye dominant, which should be the hardest way to shoot with both eyes open; yet it has been pretty easy to learn.

Like someone else said, I believe I started by looking through the peep with one eye open and then after acquiring the target open both eyes. It wasn't long at all until I started having both eyes open from the start and never even thinking about it...

Now if I try to use only one eye it feels very awkward and like I'm handicapped.[:'(]
Old 03-11-2005, 04:35 AM
Dominant Buck

I closed one eye when I shot with a peep. On my old bow I found a real nice light gathering peep.

I now keep both eyes opened but I changed to a Red Dot Scope. It allows for a faster set up and shooting time. It also is said to help people who wear glasses and/or if their eye sight is fading. Knock on wood I still see very well. With that said in the beginning hunts after the change, I still slipped back to one eye closed during the moment of truth. It would throw off my shot. It took a lot of thought to break me of it. I think I have but I always remind myself from the moment I get into my stand. Both eyes need to be open on every shot.

Good luck.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:57 AM

It took me a lot of practice over the summer. I now shoot with both open. One thing I noticed is that I can track the arrow better with both eyes open. I have tried both ways afew times to test that and for some reason, I can really track the arrow much better with both open. Once I started shooting like this, it just seems normal now.

Quick Reply: Shooting with both eyes open

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.