Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Putting CAMO into perspective!!! >

Putting CAMO into perspective!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Putting CAMO into perspective!!!

Old 03-04-2005, 05:31 PM

Default Putting CAMO into perspective!!!

Here is a link to put those "name brand, as seen on TV" Camo pattern to shame!!

Predator rocks!!!

http://whitetail.com/camo1.html
Old 03-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Putting CAMO into perspective!!!

I didn't read it, just scaned over it real quick (will read it later) but it looks like it's Predator own study which could be biased by that fact.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:44 PM

No its not from predator. Just another guy who had his eyes opened a little on the way camo should work. Next weekend I'm going to do a little camo study myself and post the pictures on here.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:09 PM

In the right light, high end fashion camo is great, especially at very close range. Move the hunter back, say 20yrds, cast some shadows, and almost any patterns work, including hunter orange.

Ever see the "name brand" advertisements......almost always the camera view to the target is ground level. How many of us hunt there? In short, very few. We kill or prey from above. I don't care what your wearing, from the ground you look like a predator perched in a tree.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:29 PM

All the camo in the world isn't going to help if you just stand like a scarecrow there in the middle of the field. Even guys in guillie suits have to blend in.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Check this link for some great camo pics.

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=713372
Old 03-14-2005, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

The article makes some good points, but the bottom line is that for most situations, a cheap walmart camo pattarn is just as good as any of the "name" brands or predator. I have had deer and elk walk by me at less than 10 yards with a solid blaze orange vest and hat on. The name of thet game for close work is:

Use some pattern to break up your outline

have some cover behind you or around you, and

don't move when they are looking your way (and they can see movement with prepherial vision too)
Old 03-14-2005, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is all the further I needed to read...

"This stuff won't work." he said. "What do you mean?" I asked. "Well, the most important function of camo is not to make you look like a tree, it is to break up the human silhouette. It is easy to blend in to a bushy environment, but camo is for when you are not exactly where you expected to be."
Someone better explain that to all the deer that have died from my arrows while never knowing I was there!
Old 03-14-2005, 09:06 PM

C'mon guys. Camo is for hunters, not hunting. Animals see movement, camo or not. I've killed more animals than I can count in blue jeans and a sweatshirt. Admittingly, I wear camo but I know it does little if anything to help. It helps a hunters pyscology and that's about it. During rifle season I rarely wear camo, but I see a lot of others wearing it. Never could understand the camo pants with blaze orange coat, of well I digress.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I disagree, I've had many deer spot me without me moving. No, this wasn't a case where I was standing out in the open. I was setup in front of a clump of trees turkey hunting when the deer moved through at 20 yards. I watched them for a while when one of them was chewing and looked directly at me. She stared for a while and the longer she did, the more she realized that something wasn't right. They didn't spook totally, but they did get out there. I was wearing MO Breakup.

Deer know when something is out of place. They live there all year, they know every tree and brush pile. If they notice something out of place, of course they will be suspicious.

I beleive Predator, ASAT and even NatGear are far better patterns for deer then the others in most situations. Notice I said deer. I am finding that Turkeys pick up on Predator camo. If you do most of your hunting out of a treestand, the more open you pattern is, the more break up ability you will gain, and this is key IMO.

Quick Reply: Putting CAMO into perspective!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.