Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

best fixed head

Old 02-27-2005, 07:53 AM

Default RE: best fixed head

muzzy 3 blade 100 gr.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:50 PM

I agree with huntnbuddy. 3 blade Muzzy 100gr
Old 02-28-2005, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

im looking for the best fixed head that flys straight and goes with my field points. Is there such a head?
No. There is not a fixed broadhead available that flys "perfect" regardless of the setup/bow it is shot from. Others may recommend a BH that flys well from their particular setup, but there is no 'universal' BH that flys like field points for everyone.

All things being equal, a smaller cutting diameter should fly closer to field points. However, everyone that bowhunts needs to test-shoot a BH with their setup before taking it in the field/woods to hunt.

I've always numbered my arrow and broadheads. I then shoot the different combinations and find which fly closest to my field points. I then match up that particular BH and arrow for the life of each, using them only for hunting. The arrows I have trouble finding a BH match for I use for target practice and not for hunting. Despite a well tuned bow, I've found that fixed blades will rarely match up exactly with my field points.

There are many great fixed blade BH's available. Wasp, Muzzy, NAP, and Barrie Archery/Rocky Mountain are just a few. The only way to decide which flys best from you're bow/setup is to shoot them yourself.

Hope this gets you going in the right direction.
TB
Old 02-28-2005, 11:34 AM

Seems like last year or the year before someone on here did a pole of all members, asking which head they killed deer with. Muzzy and Thunderheads were way up there at the top. Those 2 heads have been proven to be killers with YEARS of experience.

I've shot alot of different heads over the years and I've never really had any that wouldn't shoot well. I guess it all depends on your setup.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Back when I shot fixed heads, I really liked the Slick Tricks. I also liked the Muzzy three blade.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:18 PM

wacems
Old 02-28-2005, 12:24 PM

There is such a head and it is the Montec G5.....but first, you must start with perfectly straight arrows. Your wasting time and money if they are not.