Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

enough power

Old 02-26-2005, 02:28 PM

Default enough power

i was told i will not have enough weight of a arrow to use expadible broadheads. arrow weight 366. my bow is rated 318 fps
i got the following on my string peep with no tubing, kisser, and rope loop. what do you think fixed or not. i would like to use expandibles. what do i need to change if anything to be able to use them?
Old 02-26-2005, 02:42 PM

Default RE: enough power

You should be able to shoot them just fine, ive seen people shoot them with lighter arrows.

BB90
Old 02-26-2005, 03:03 PM

As I posted in another post of yours that I felt your arrow is to light I still think so.
I took a second look & it seems to be about center of the chart for your set up as you post it.
I would do two things if I were you
1. Go and find out just how fast your fpc is.( not a guess made by mfd.)
2. get a hold of nap & see what they say I have found them to be truthful
even if they can't sell you something.( they will tell you not to or it is ok they will not lie to you)
Alot of people have had bad luck with expandable heads because there set up is on the low end of what they should have.
Stop & think of it this way about 1/3 of arrow energy is used to open the head so what ever you KE is you only get to realy use 2/3 of it to push the arrow out the other side. ( the 1/3 & 2/3 may be wrong but used to help you understand)
As where open heads get to use 100% of the arrows KE.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:09 PM

I wouldn't use them.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:21 PM

me neither
Old 02-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

fastfire, I don't doubt the mechanicals need more KE but on the spitfires, as well as others, the blades are flared out at the ends and they also don't have the rubber bands and it seems as though on entry the blades would be forced open by contact as it pushed through. I don't know the science behind it enough to say one way or the other, but it just seems like it. I take my spitfires and take them apart and put them back together to make sure they open easily. I can push the blades open without much effort. It sure doesn't seem like it would take 1/3 of the energy just to open the blade. Like I posted before, I had a passthrough double lung and sliced a rib clean in two on exit like a surgeon's blade and the arrow buried in the ground from about 15 to 18 yards. I guess I'm just packing a ton of energy.
Forgot to mention I am using a much heavier arrow than gru. I'm shooting 29 1/2" 2315 xx78's with 100 g spitfires from a Pearson Anaconda.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:06 AM

ORIGINAL: aeroslinger

fastfire, I don't doubt the mechanicals need more KE but on the spitfires, as well as others, the blades are flared out at the ends and they also don't have the rubber bands and it seems as though on entry the blades would be forced open by contact as it pushed through. I don't know the science behind it enough to say one way or the other, but it just seems like it. I take my spitfires and take them apart and put them back together to make sure they open easily. I can push the blades open without much effort. It sure doesn't seem like it would take 1/3 of the energy just to open the blade. Like I posted before, I had a passthrough double lung and sliced a rib clean in two on exit like a surgeon's blade and the arrow buried in the ground from about 15 to 18 yards. I guess I'm just packing a ton of energy.
Forgot to mention I am using a much heavier arrow than gru. I'm shooting 29 1/2" 2315 xx78's with 100 g spitfires from a Pearson Anaconda.

I don't know the how much of the KE is wasted on opening the blades for sure I used 1/3 & 2/3 for explaining.
I to use spitfire pro 100's & have never had any trouble but then again i shoot
2315 xx78's 30" also the auctual arrow speed of mine is 273fps from High country skyforce.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Why do you want to use them over fixed blades? If it's because they fly better then you have some problems that should be fixed. If a fixed blade flies like a laser out of you setup all is right, if it doesn't even a mechanical will be carrying alot of baggage. Sorry if I'm preaching to the choir here but I can't see any reason to use them unless you can get good ones for free, (even then maybe not) or an outfitter requires it.