Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
cheap target material? >

cheap target material?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

cheap target material?

Old 09-09-2002, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default cheap target material?

I'd like to build an inexpensive target which will stop broadheads or field points and is made of material which is easy to get, cheap and fairly durable. I'd be interested in hearing what others have used, how they put it together and what thickness is needed.
thanks
Old 09-09-2002, 11:57 PM

Default RE: cheap target material?

Get a big woven bag. I use a horsefeed bag, with weeve big enough to let the arrows slide between the fibers without tearing it open. Fill the inside with plastic grocery bags collected from recycing places or from your kitchen. start stuffing bags into one big grocery bag, then tie it off and squish it flat so its like a big bag pancake. Layer the pancakes in the feed bag and tie it off....hang in a tree and voila!

Evan
Old 09-10-2002, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cheap target material?

I use a feedbag stuffed full of rags. I'll suspend it from 2 stakes and put a deer target in front of it. The bag is about the same size as the body of the target. I've been shooting at the same target for over 10 years. The rags stop arrows just as good now as when it was new. I just slip a new bag over the shotup one when it's time. Broadheads would cut it up pretty bad though.