Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 slick tricks!!! to buy or not to buy? >

slick tricks!!! to buy or not to buy?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

slick tricks!!! to buy or not to buy?

Old 02-18-2005, 08:41 PM

Default slick tricks!!! to buy or not to buy?

Everytime I get ready to order some slick trick 125's,I hear another bad opinion on them..ex. they break,blades are dull, they are noisy...lets hear the truth..Are they a good hunting or just the average head..please, i need some solid advice...suggestions on a better head is good as well..
Old 02-19-2005, 04:09 AM

Default RE: slick tricks!!! to buy or not to buy?

First of all, I'm not the type to bash a product. What I'll do is share with you my experience with the ST because I think that's one of the reason's we post here.

First of all, I tried the ST 100s this year for the first time. When I opened them, I was fairly impressed with the construction of the head and the sharpness of the blades. Next step was to see how they shot. I put one on an arrow and did a spin test...it wobbled. Put my field point back on to check my arrow, and it was straight/spun true. Back to installing the ST. Instructions indicated I could move the washer to aline the broadhead. Well, after several attempts, I finally got it to spin true. I like my broadheads to spin true without having to tinker with them.

Secondly, I took them out to my target range and gave them a try. They did fly beautifully, but I noticed a diffinite hissing noise. By process of elimination the source of the hissing noise was determined to be the ST heads (all the other broadheads I shot were silent in comparison). What causes the hissing? That's on another forum.

Thirdly, I took it to the field to give it a go despite the hissing noise. I made a shot on a doe and after retrieving my arrow found the ST broadhead had broken off at the ferrule were the blades go through.

Like I said, I don't like to bash a product, especially since the ST broadhead has gathered quite a following. These are just my experiences with the ST. Maybe I just went through a streak of bad luck, who knows. I do know that I like a broadhead to spin true when installed without having to tinker with it, like it to be as quiet as possible when shot, and don't like to find a broken broadhead after a shot on a deer that didn't hit any major bones.

Recommendation? I'll be shooting Rocky Mtn Titanium 100s this coming season, with Muzzy as my faithful backup.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

http://www.broadheadtest.com.mechanicalvsfixed.html
Old 02-19-2005, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

i could not get to that site with that address i gave you try this one. mechanicalvsfixed
Old 02-19-2005, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is the link your trying to find.
http://www.broadheadtests.com/MECHANICALVSFIXED.html

As for slick tricks, They are sharp, and fly well. They cut a big hole in what they hit, and tune easily. If they break, they will break at the ferule where the insert screws in. If a muzzy breaks it will break or bend right where the steel tip screw onto the ferule, If a snyper breaks it will do so near the tip, if a rocket head breaks it will useually be the blades falling out etc. I am not bashing any of the other heads or Bluefeathers comments, just stating that all heads can and will break, and useually in the same place. No head is perfect and you will have to decide if the features it offers are what your looking. I have used the slick trick 125's on game with excellent results and no damage. Bluefeather did not have such good results. You will have to weigh the info and decide. Personally I wouldn't have any problems using them again.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:32 AM

ORIGINAL: 5 shot

Here is the link your trying to find.
http://www.broadheadtests.com/MECHANICALVSFIXED.html

As for slick tricks, They are sharp, and fly well. They cut a big hole in what they hit, and tune easily. If they break, they will break at the ferule where the insert screws in. If a muzzy breaks it will break or bend right where the steel tip screw onto the ferule, If a snyper breaks it will do so near the tip, if a rocket head breaks it will useually be the blades falling out etc. I am not bashing any of the other heads or Bluefeathers comments, just stating that all heads can and will break, and useually in the same place. No head is perfect and you will have to decide if the features it offers are what your looking. I have used the slick trick 125's on game with excellent results and no damage. Bluefeather did not have such good results. You will have to weigh the info and decide. Personally I wouldn't have any problems using them again.
I agree with 5 shot. There are pro's and con's to all broadheads. I've had other broadheads break on me as well. It mainly comes down to personal preference ane what works well with your set up. Give me a descent broadhead that's sharp and with a well placed shot, we're in business. I still have Slick Trick Broahheads and plan on using them because they are a descent broadhead, they are definitly sharp...and the well placed shot is on me.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Although mine do make somewhat of a noise in flight at longer ranges...I still plan on hunting with them this fall. I really wanted to try them out on a deer last season, but while I was waiting for my replacement blades to arrive (I missed a couple of deer the first week of season) I ended up taking a couple of deer with the NAP Nitrons instead, which I also found to be really good broadheads, althought their blades aren't nearly as thick as the slicktricks are. I shoot the 100 ST's and they really group together with my field points out of my bow which I have never really had tuned for broadheads because I have been using mechanicals for the past few years. I really like the ST's and don't plan on going back to mechanicals anytime soon. I guess that you'll just have to buy a pack and give 'em a try.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

I bought a set of ST heads late in the season and all I can tell you is they fly the same as my field points. I never had a shot at a deer so I can't tell you how well they hold up.

I personally never expect to reuse a broadhead after shooting it into a deer. If it comes out unharmed and I can reuse it, well I just consider that a bonus. As for a hissing noise, what affect is that going to have on the deer that the sound of your bow hasn't already caused. It doesn't matter how quiet you make your bow, the deer will still hear it shoot.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:24 PM

I like the head overall, but I had 2 ferruls break in half while target practicing. I went back with Muzzy, which I have never seen break.
Old 02-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

I have taken 12 animals in the last 2 seasons with Slick Trick 125's. I have had nothing but awesome results. Pin point accuracy, huge holes and very short tracking jobs. I have been very impressed with them, many of my hunting buddy's are shooting them as well. They have all had great results. We have all been amazed at how well these fly. Their accuracy is unbelievable.

Quick Reply: slick tricks!!! to buy or not to buy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.