Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HUGE PROBLEM

Old 02-16-2005, 08:09 AM

Default HUGE PROBLEM

I have a bow dealer very close to my house that sells hoyt. I went in a shot the VTEC, well i had shot the switchback about 1 week before this. I have worked at this proshop for about 3 years now, and he is trying to get me to buy the hoyt, but i just love the switchback, IMO there is no comparison. He is making me feel realy bad, saying stuff like "just remember who has helped you out along the way" and "I can't believe that you would spend your money on a junk bow like the switchback." Me and the owner are pretty good friends i guess you could say. Then he tells me "if you get the mathews then I'm not going to be able to help you tune it and all of that." I dont know what to do, to me the mathews was so much more comfortable then the hoyt. If i spend this much money i want something that i will be comfortable when shooting it. I need some opinions please. What do I do? Buy what is comfortable, or make my boss happy and get the hoyt?

Thanks everyone in advance
Old 02-16-2005, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HUGE PROBLEM

What do you do at the pro-shop? Can't you just tune it yourself? I understand a guy wanting you to patronize his shop but he should also understand that you are going to shoot the bow that you are most comfortable with. Now if you work there and you sell bows or work on bows etc. and he doesn't carry the Mathews line, then I could where he would want you to shoot something that represents his shop. At the very least I can see where he wouldn't want you pushing the Mathews or telling other customers what you shoot because it may look bad. It's a tricky situation and I see both sides of the coin. But I need a little more info.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:33 AM

I can tune the bow myself but i am only 18 and he knows way more about bows then i do and I am just afraid that if i have a question about it he wont help me. But I figured that if i have a question that there is so many people on here that are always willing to help. I dont even need his help then. Plus im not going to be working there for much longer i will be out of there mid march. He also has a 20 yard indoor range that he said that if i get a mathews i cant shoot it there. I dont care i have a freakin 20 yard range in my basement. It is making me so mad that i am about ready to go to the mathews dealer and buy the switchback right now.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I say buy what you are comfortable with.

It would suck to be stuck with a $1000 set up you don't like.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I say buy want you want. I personally would buy want I wanted and then stop by there and tell him to kiss my @$$ and then not ever spend another dime in his store....you working there though and possibly needing him for a reference should probably handle it a little different
Old 02-16-2005, 08:51 AM

I have had no problems working for him and i put in a 3 week notice that i will be quiting. I will just quit going there, and just wont talk to him. cause i probably will need him as a reference and i dont want to really tick him off.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your boss is not much of a friend if he talks to you like that? You are a 18-year old man, stand up for yourself & buy the bow YOU want.
Mathews & Hoyt both make great bows. You just can't go wrong if you buy the bow that you like best from either company.
I am sure your new proshop won't mind selling you a new Mathews.
Keep us posted on your problem.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Wolf killer and add that if he was a good friend that he would sit you down. Talk to you one on one meaning that he would let you explain yourself and respect what you had to say. True it might be bad for bussiness if you are seen showing off your new bow or shooting it at the range during bussiness hours. But for him to call it a junk bow or for him belittle you, well that shows a hint of jelousy to me. He might deep down have wanted to sell Mathews in the past but couldn't because other dealers had the contract already? With the 4 Pro-Shops we have around here in IF I know of three different employe's who wok at two of the 4 shops, that have bought different brand bows than what their own shop carried. In all the cases their boss's just told them to go for it if that was the bow that their heart was set on. They were all told just don't be trying to sell your brand of bow to customers who come into our shop. Sounds like you are making a good choice in leaving! And BTW good luck with the SB!
Old 02-16-2005, 10:50 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds more like a Hoyt Representitive than a Professional Proshop. My local pro is a bit gruff but I know he would never neglect his cutomers intrests in order to push his inventory. He would lose all credibility with his patrons and with me.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

The sooner you learn to not associate with folks who do not have your best interests at heart, the better.

Quick Reply: HUGE PROBLEM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.