HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   horns are falling!!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/90183-horns-falling.html)

elkcrazedfrk 02-12-2005 07:33 AM

horns are falling!!!

Well fellas..I've been out four times now. I have a few fresh sheds and about 20 old ones.Anyone else doing good?

deer-hunter18 02-12-2005 09:04 AM

RE: horns are falling!!!

Nope i have been out about 15 times and have only found 1. I went for an hour or so this morning and saw 4 buck in a group still holding both antlers.

4wheeldrive 02-12-2005 05:18 PM

went this morning saw several bucks some with antlers some with only one antler and a few with none at all only found one shed

wihunter402 02-13-2005 09:17 AM

Went out yesterday and found nothing. Saw 9 deer but no horns.

Shootem up870 02-13-2005 09:49 AM

never shed hunted before but plan to this year. still seeing some bucks with antlers on both sides and plan to wait until i see them start dropping.

idahoelkinstructor 02-13-2005 10:12 AM

I got a question for everyone? Do mule deer and whitetail deer drop their horns at the same time or are they different! To be honest being a elkoholic I don't pay much attention to deer, mulies or whitetails. I do hunt and shoot mulies when are paths cross, in the pursuite of an elk. Or after I have harvested my elk and I have a bit of time left on my hunt, with a unpunched deer tag in my pocket. Then and only then do I get serious about hunting deer and maybe even dreaming about them at night in camp. But the rest of year, I live eat breath, and dream about elk and elk hunting.

elkcrazedfrk 02-13-2005 12:49 PM

Hey idahoelk..I can relate all to well with you about elk..There is nothing like moving in on a big bull. Sept. cant come soon enough for me..To answer your question on deer. They shed around the same time. People say the bigger deer shed first first,but that doesn't always hold true. I found a matching set of whitetail sheds almost a month ago. He was just a little 4x4(not an 8 pointer):DTwo nights ago I saw a 150 class 5x5 still packin head gear.Fact of the matter is that they will shed when they shed big or small and you can find a horn anywhere. The best places to find them though is between there feeding grounds and bedding areas. Good luck elk hunting this year. I can already feel the the hair standing on my neck from that first early morning bugle.

HUNTING FREAK 1 02-13-2005 02:48 PM

went out yesterday found nothing seen about 30 deer out feeding nothing with horns.

BenfromVa 02-13-2005 04:16 PM

I have been out 1 time, a week ago, found both sides to 2 different 10 pointers, One side of one of the ten pointers had a broken off G-4
One of the Ten Pointers had 7 inch bases, thats rare for around here, Not to mention they were found on Public /Govt. land that I had a stand hanging not 40 yards from both sheds and did not sit the stand one time this year.:(

BenfromVa 02-13-2005 04:17 PM

A few more..