Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Project for school: should hunting seasons be extended >

Project for school: should hunting seasons be extended

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Project for school: should hunting seasons be extended

Old 02-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Project for school: should hunting seasons be extended

a 14 day gun season in ohio [&:] what the deer already dead after one e\week of pressure hear in the northwest but two weeks they would all die plus around here to get a record buck you have to push on opening day and not let them get acrossed the river
Old 02-10-2005, 05:44 PM

Not real certain what you mean but I think you're assuming 7 more days of hunting will kill all the deer? I really don't think that would be the case.

I think gun season accounted for about 50% of the deer harvest this last season...I don't think adding 1 week would decimate the deer herd.

If anything I think more people will spread the hunting trips out over those two weeks vs having 500,000 hunters in the woods at one time. (Not certain of the breakdown of how many hunters were hunting when ie: archery, gun, muzzleloader, ect) I think there was about a 38-40% sucess rate. Adding 7 more days of hunting should not increase the number of kills greatly. In 2003 I think the "Sunday" kill ratio was only 6% of the total deer kill. Not a large number at all. I don't want to extrapulate one day at 6% into a week of 6% but the numbers could be somewhere around an additional 26%.

More deer are killed by cars each year in Ohio than the estimated increase. 32,000 were killed by cars in Ohio in 2003 vs 31,000 in an estimated 26% increase of gun season harvest.

Now as far as having an unlimited doe bag limit?? Not certain where that comment was ment to land....cause it doesn't make sense.

Anyway 14 days would be nice imo. If not for anything but my vaction time!
Old 02-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

I thought hunting season was year round !!!! Shhhhhhhhh!!!!
Old 02-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

personally, i think that illinois should open up the regular shotgun season a total of three weekends instead of just two. plus more people are likely to hunt the third weekend cuz it still isnt into the freezing january temps.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:31 PM
Dominant Buck

I thought I was on the Bowhunting form. Why all of the post's regarding the less skilled season?
Old 02-10-2005, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Racor

Not real certain what you mean but I think you're assuming 7 more days of hunting will kill all the deer? I really don't think that would be the case.

I think gun season accounted for about 50% of the deer harvest this last season...I don't think adding 1 week would decimate the deer herd.

If anything I think more people will spread the hunting trips out over those two weeks vs having 500,000 hunters in the woods at one time. (Not certain of the breakdown of how many hunters were hunting when ie: archery, gun, muzzleloader, ect) I think there was about a 38-40% sucess rate. Adding 7 more days of hunting should not increase the number of kills greatly. In 2003 I think the "Sunday" kill ratio was only 6% of the total deer kill. Not a large number at all. I don't want to extrapulate one day at 6% into a week of 6% but the numbers could be somewhere around an additional 26%.

More deer are killed by cars each year in Ohio than the estimated increase. 32,000 were killed by cars in Ohio in 2003 vs 31,000 in an estimated 26% increase of gun season harvest.

Now as far as having an unlimited doe bag limit?? Not certain where that comment was ment to land....cause it doesn't make sense.

Anyway 14 days would be nice imo. If not for anything but my vaction time!
Being a guy from Georgia your up on Ohio. I'm sure they will extend the season in some zones before long. I expect there to be almost 1 million deer here next year. The zone I live in wont be doing anything like that for awhile. I like our long bow season the way it is (no guns going off). I would like a longer and earlier muzzelloader season. One week of shot gun followed by one of muzzelloader would be nice.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:05 AM

ORIGINAL: nodog
Being a guy from Georgia your up on Ohio. I'm sure they will extend the season in some zones before long. I expect there to be almost 1 million deer here next year. The zone I live in wont be doing anything like that for awhile. I like our long bow season the way it is (no guns going off). I would like a longer and earlier muzzelloader season. One week of shot gun followed by one of muzzelloader would be nice.
I like the idea of a week long ML season right behind shotgun season. That would work just as well.

Being from Georgia...well Georgia is where I live, work and play but Ohio is home! Just moved to Georgia almost two years ago now...but still do a lot of hunting, fishing up north! (the fishing here isn't bad either!)
Old 02-11-2005, 11:26 PM

Hunting season lengths and bag number should and are enforced based on the individual habitat of the local area. Number of deer, competition for food, disease etc. Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: B-TechRapture

Hunting season lengths and bag number should and are enforced based on the individual habitat of the local area. Number of deer, competition for food, disease etc. Hope this helps.
Don't forget the insurance industry.