Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Crossbow

Old 02-10-2005, 06:28 PM

Default RE: Crossbow

lefty try looking on the classifieds at this site I think I seen some good lefty bows on there. I think it was a hoyt a week ago.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:08 PM

here is my take on it..Weather you are archery hunting or god forbid crossbow hunting,If you cant afford to do it then dont do it. If your buying a crossbow because that is the only thing you can afford,are you then going to K-mart for your arrows and 7.50 broadheads..Do you understand what I am saying..I'm not bashing what you want to do.All i'm saying is if your going to do it thyen do the critters a favor and make sure and buy quality stuff..Good luck to you.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lefty, that's why I asked what sight was on it. I would highly recommend putting a scope base on it and a 3 dot Red Dot. I work in a store where we sell Ten Points. I can't pull it off the top of my head, but I'm almost certain that they make a scope base that bolts right on. It's basically a 7/8" Weaver base so will accept any Weaver style rings. And you don't have to buy an expensive Red Dot for it. If you can live with a single dot then you should be able to put a Simmons, Tasco, oir BSA on it for about $50 or less. The base will most likely cost $30 to $35. So ballpark it should be $75 to $100.

Then once mounted, all you do is sight it in for about 27 yards. This should give you decent shooting on anything out to 35 yards. And some will argue this but they aren't much good, or at least intended to be shot much more than 40 yards anyway, The bolts just drop like mortar shells after 35 yards.

Hope this helps ya some. If you're close to aGander Mountain store stop in. I work at the one in Harrisburg, Pa so I know they should be able to fit you up. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2005, 04:59 AM
Dominant Buck

No joke on the bolt drop ,
I've actually watched my 20" XX75 shafts drop 8-10" when going from 20 to 30 measured yards . They were tipped with 100 grain Thunderheads . The bolt struck within 1/2" of the first shot though , I was pretty proud of that .
Old 02-11-2005, 05:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: elkcrazedfrk

here is my take on it..Weather you are archery hunting or god forbid crossbow hunting,If you cant afford to do it then dont do it. If your buying a crossbow because that is the only thing you can afford,are you then going to K-mart for your arrows and 7.50 broadheads..Do you understand what I am saying..I'm not bashing what you want to do.All i'm saying is if your going to do it thyen do the critters a favor and make sure and buy quality stuff..Good luck to you.
Sounds like he can afford to do it and has already. I buy broad heads from a K-mart like store, Thunderheads, just picked up 6 for 18 bucks. Quality stuff is not always expensive but to some people the price of something is just another piece of the puzzel of who they are.

Crossbows are not as easy as you would think. Getting the shot of ins't bad but evey thing else (to me) is, and a mess as well. He also is asking about one of the top of the line, if not the best xbows.

I don't use a xbow but I would buy this one if only to turn around and sell it for more ( depends on the deal). The critters will be favored with this set up as long as the shooter does their job of knowing their equipment, what ever it may be.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

OK, Ten Points are one of the best crossbows made. Probably them and X-Caliber being the top two.
I agree. At $250 and assuming in good condition a Ten Point crossbow would be a steal.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

Here's a suggestion, find another forum beside a BOWHUNTING forum to get info on xbows. Or, put up with the lip you will get from us xbow haters.
If you don't have anything productive to add to the conversation, why don't YOU go somewhere else?
Old 02-11-2005, 01:40 PM

It don't matter what you use as long as it works for you!!! As long as it's legal in your state also. You can find cheap bows in good condition at garage sales. In my state you can only use a X-bow durning firearm unless your disabled. For about 200.00 you can get set up with just about any used bow,just shop around.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

I talked to my neighbor again today about his crossbow and would sell it to me for $200 so the price he gave me a week before he has dropped and he knows that he is getting ripped off i figured i know it shoots well so i think i will get it so to all you anti xbowers out there i am going to dissapoint you

oh well
Old 02-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Lefty, stay in touch. And if you ain't buying that thing then let me know and I will for when I'm too dilapidated to shoot my regular bow.

While I'm on here I'd like to add a few things. First let me say that I was once a stanch anti--- on this subject. i kinda still am, but not so much toward the individual. XBows are legal in Ohio so you are within the law. That should make things a done deal.
FOR ALL THE NAYSAYERS
I do know from observation that they are not the Godsend of the bowhunting world. The big advantage is that you do not have to draw when in the presence of the animal. But, the are heavy, cumbersome, and must still be raaised and aimed. They are pretty noisy, the cheaper ones have terrible triggers. And you ain't gittin but one shot at a time, so you better get the job done the first shot.

Quick Reply: Crossbow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.