Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Going hog hunting >

Going hog hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Going hog hunting

Old 02-07-2005, 09:47 PM

Default Going hog hunting

The first of april I am heading south to Tennessee to hunt hogs. Decided to take the bow instead of a gun. I picked up a pack of Montec G5's. Will these perform ok, or do I need to switch? For deer, I have been using 100 gr 4 blade muzzy's. But they looked a little "flimsy" for a hog. Did I make a good decision, or should I head back to gander mountain? Thanks
Old 02-07-2005, 10:34 PM

Default RE: Going hog hunting

youl be fine, dont get into all the hype about hogs, there an awesome animal to hunt and very tough but no toughter than a deer, a well placed shot with any broadhead will kill them plenty quick
Old 02-08-2005, 11:57 AM

i have shot 2 pigs this year w/ 4 blade muzzy's and got pass through on both. both went less than 100 yards!
Old 02-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's the 1st I've ever heard anyone describe muzzy's as flimsy. You'd have been fine with them.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:05 PM

i would say use muzzys because i hear there the best and i like them the most
Old 02-08-2005, 02:22 PM

thanks for the input. I just thought the blades were too thin, and would break. I have been perfectly happy using them on deer. The only broadhead I have had no problems with. I probably read too much into how tough hogs are. When I was booking my hunt this morning, the guide said he personally uses muzzy heads, but the 3 blade. The muzzy's group right with my field points, so if I don't like the way the Montec's fly I'll just use the muzzy's. I just did not want to go unprepared, and screw up.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

I'm going wild boar hunting in February. Oh wait.....IT IS FEBRUARY!!!! Yep, that's right, I head out at 6:00 a.m. this Friday for 2 1/2 days of South Carolina pig pickin'!!!!!

Yeeeeee Haaa!!!

I've always shot Rocky Mtn Snypers...but I switched to G5 Montecs....and then switched again to Muzzy 100 gr 3-blades for the big pigs. Just wasn't happy w/the way the Montecs sharpened (or didn't). I've heard GREAT things about the Muzzys, and I like just replacing the blades (vs. sharpening them). Neither of the broadheads flew exactly like my field points....I'll address that issue after I bring home the bacon this weekend!!!
Cheers!
Old 02-08-2005, 05:51 PM

Good luck, hope ya stick a fat one!
Old 02-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

i may just go myself this weekend good luck to ya'll
Old 02-09-2005, 06:59 AM

i dont know whoever told you a hog was no tougher than a deer,maybe theyve been hitting some of that tennesee shine.hogs are extremely tough and a well placed arrow is a neccessity,the shoulder is covered with cariliage and it will seal up and sometimes nearly shut down the blood flow making trailing difficult.i'm not saying you cannot kill one with a bow,just dont believe they are not tougher than nails,i usually shoot em with rocket 100 gr.steelheads,smaller diameter and i think it allows more penetration