Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Will it work?

Old 01-28-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Will it work?

I was reading one of my hunting books last night and came across an interesting tactic the author used to lure in whitetails, specifically bucks. What he would do is fill a squirt bottle up with doe urine...find a rather thick area where deer visited often, and covered a 20 x 50 yard square with the urine, covering everything from the forest floor to brush and the base of some trees. He would do this right before dark. The next morning he would climb up in his preset treestand 80-100 yards away upwind before daylight. He would also cover himself with the same urine he used to cover the 20 x 50 area with. I guess what would happen is that a buck would come threw and smell the doe at night, which the author said is when most of the rutting activity takes place, and stay in the area looking for the doe until the next morning...when the buck realises it is to light for him to be roaming around the woods, he heads upwind, towards the authors stand giving him a shot. The author said that he never worries about if he's going to see a deer, hes just worried about if he can make the shot when the deer presents itself. Now i dont know what to think of this...i was just wondering if anyone had tried, heard, or has any input on this tactic?
Old 01-28-2005, 02:03 PM

Default RE: Will it work?

I don't know if it would work for sure or not but that has got to give a guy a headache having that doe urine on him while he is sitting in the stand. That stuff stinks [:'(]
Old 01-28-2005, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if it would work or not. Honestly, it sounds pretty stupid though. I think I will just stick to my more convential methods.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:17 PM

I'd make sure you're up wind when sparaying the area. If you get down wind you're bound to get a face full.[:'(]
Old 01-28-2005, 02:27 PM

You can try it. But you ain't gettin in MY truck afterwards! [:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]
Old 01-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Could get expensive at 10.00 a ounce
Old 01-28-2005, 03:10 PM

What book?

I'd like to know which author recommends that one. I'm positive the buck would wind you as he approaches
Old 01-28-2005, 03:15 PM

This guy work for Tinks?
Old 01-28-2005, 03:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Anything will work from time to time. Through experience, I don't have much faith in urines, particular doe urines, I'd rather rely on woodsmanship, hunting the funnels and a good deer call.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:03 PM

I don't know. I had a friend use a similar tactic and claimed he seen more bucks then ever. The guy isn't really a story teller but I believe his positive results that day had more to do with the rut then with his "newly invented tactic".

Quick Reply: Will it work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.