HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Finding Old Arrowheads in Deer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/8795-finding-old-arrowheads-deer.html)

farm hunter 09-05-2002 09:48 PM

Finding Old Arrowheads in Deer

Someone else posted about being careful if you do not get a pass through, when field-dressing. I would agree, and be careful when dressing any deer, sometimes old arrowheads might be lodged from a previous wound. Its happened twice to me, where I've found previous heads in deer.

The first was a decent 2-1/2 yr old 8 pt I shot in 1998. Lodged in the pelvis, was one of those early expandables that did not make it through the bone of the pelvis. The deer's rack was smaller on the opposite side of the body from the wound Other than that, the deer seemed perfectly healthy, and was with a doe when I took it. Notice the smaller side of the rack as a result of the previous year's wound. Here is a picture of the healed pelvis with the arrowhead embedded

The other example was a small 3 point that I took a couple years ago in gun season. It was limping very noticeably, so I took it even though it was a small buck. Its front knee was very enlarged, when I opened it up, I found an otherwise good Muzzy stuck in it. Even though this was a wound from probably only a month prior, the bone was very healed over already. In hindsite, the deer probably would have lived, but always walked with a limp. I should have let it walk, but I could not tell what the wound was, and assumed it had been shot with a shotgun.

Deer are very strong animals, its amazing what they can live with. I think its not too uncommon to find these kinds of wounds, does anyone else have photos, or experiences?

Deleted User 09-05-2002 09:55 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

5 shot 09-06-2002 03:50 AM

RE: Finding Old Arrowheads in Deer

Two years ago I shot a buck, when cutting him up I found a puckets blood trailer lodged between the spine and the hip. The wound was completly healed over, and the deer was in good health.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS

445 supermag 09-06-2002 04:14 AM

great pictures and great point. we all should be very carefull when dressing a deer. thanks for the info.

Brian

royak 09-06-2002 04:18 AM

Thanks farm hunter for the heads up.

Take a child hunting,for they are not only our future but also the future of hunting. Roy .

Tazman 09-06-2002 06:35 AM

farm hunter even though I have found old buck shot in deer for some reason this old man had never though about broadheads!!!! Man I hate to think what one could do to you if you didn't notice it while field dressing or butchering a deer. You have officialy made me paranoid!!!

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club