Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First bow for my 5 year old....any advice? >

First bow for my 5 year old....any advice?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First bow for my 5 year old....any advice?

Old 01-25-2005, 02:21 PM

Default First bow for my 5 year old....any advice?

My son is going to be 5 this summer and for his birthday I would like to get him his first bow. I don't want anything too fancy, just a plain easy to draw bow that he can have fun with while learning the sport of archery.

Any advice, links, brands....etc?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-25-2005, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: First bow for my 5 year old....any advice?

Even if it is only a Wal-Mart "toy" bow. Just get something he can pull back without trouble and let him go. Other than safety, don't get too technical with him. Just let him do his thing and keep it fun. That is what I did with my 2 sons. They are 8 and 11 now. As they got older we worked into decent bows and form. They are still learning a lot but having fun. 3-D shoots with the kids last summer was a great time. Enjoy!
Old 01-25-2005, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought my son a Browning Lil Brave last year for his 5th birthday and he loved it. The great thing is that it's a recurve so you don't have to worry about draw lenght or anything and it big enough so that he'll feel more like you instead of like you have a big bow and he has a toy. I think that it was $29.99
Old 01-25-2005, 04:08 PM

Funny you shouls ask. I was just reading Bow Hunting World. And on like page 6 is a bow by Genesis. It looks pretty cool. It is a compound but it doesnt fit any one specific person.

Draw length: fits 15 to 30
Set at 20# it performs like a 35# recurve
All the advantages of single cam technology

Here is a web addy www.genesisbow.com

The picture has a little girl with it pulled back to her chin.

Check it out.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:21 PM

I bought my daughter who was 6 a cheap bow from wal-mart last year and she loves it. If she continues to show interest later on I'll get her a Genisus. I would go for the cheap bow first and let them have fun with it.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

i bought my kids hand made wooden stickbows, 49.99 each , unfinished wood. they had a great time drawing thier own " cave-picture" type designs on them, then staining and clearcoating. they love to shoot them, and shoot them well. not many moving parts on those sticks, and i believe that mastering traditional will only help them in the long run , whatever type of equipment they eventually choose to learn.

just have fun!

-moose
Old 01-26-2005, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a picture of my son at 7 with his Lil-Sioux and Black Widow youth cedar arrows, BW glove, and BW arm guard. He had it since he was six and continues to use it at age 9. I asked him if he wanted something different for his tenth birthday next month and he said why, he loves the bow that he has. .........OK.

Old 01-26-2005, 07:48 AM

yeah I had a walmart toy bow and it was yellow and I still got it.....
Old 01-26-2005, 08:08 AM

If you think it is something he'll use for a long time the genesis is hard to beat. he won't out grow it until he's ready to start hunting but it is an investment. I think a cheaper first bow is the way to go and if he shows interest in the sport after shooting a few months or maybe until his next birthday then upgrade him to a genesis.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:00 AM

i would say browning micro midas but i think its to big for a 5 year old i think the weight goes from 20# up to 45# they have a bunch of kids bows www.browning.com click on archery link.

Quick Reply: First bow for my 5 year old....any advice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.