HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Tried the crimson raptor (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/87858-tried-crimson-raptor.html)

savedbygrace 01-25-2005 08:14 AM

Tried the crimson raptor

I am new to bowhunting and I have heard alot of good comments and advice on this forum. When I started reading on this forum I noticed where alot of you guys shot muzzies. I too have been shooting muzzies (100gr 3 blade, on my tomkat set @ 70#'s with 27" DL using goldtip xt's 5575 & a biscuit rest). I've only harvested one deer so far, it was a mature doe. I shot her @ 15yrds and she only ran approx. 20 yrds after being shot. Now in this situation I know you dont need a good blood trail but she didnt start losing blood until after 15yrds. It was a double lung and posterior heart shot. Again when they dont run that far I know you dont need a good blood trail but what about when they do run further and dont start bleeding until after several yards after they have run off. I have been very pleased with the muzzies, they are one heck of a broadhead but I thought about tring different kinds of broadheads to see how they performed. I read alot of mostly negative comments about the crimson talons but I thought I would give them a chance anyway. I bought some raptors the other day and O MAN, they fly so AWESOME with my setup. Now the only draw back is that I havent taken a deer with one yet but I am very eager to see how it does. That will be my deciding factor. I guess I have been ranting and raving to ask this: have any of you guys actually shot any of the crimson talon products and if so how do you like them. Any other comments, good or bad, would be appreciated. Remember I'm a newbee and still learning.

BobCo19-65 01-25-2005 10:39 AM

RE: Tried the crimson raptor

Now in this situation I know you dont need a good blood trail but she didnt start losing blood until after 15yrds.
I don't have anything to add to the Crimson Talon since I have never tried them. You may want to look up 5-shot testing of them though. As for the above statement, that is a fairly common scenerio.

Mike from Texas 01-25-2005 05:22 PM

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Now in this situation I know you dont need a good blood trail but she didnt start losing blood until after 15yrds.
I don't have anything to add to the Crimson Talon since I have never tried them. You may want to look up 5-shot testing of them though. As for the above statement, that is a fairly common scenerio.
Not if you use a Raptor or Spitfire. The deer I shot with the Raptor started bleeding immediately, and I do mean immediately There was blood at the impact site and didn't stop until he fell about 30 yards later. Same thing with the Spitfires only more. MAssive blood at the hit and blood heavy enough to follow even in a light rain all the way to where she fell.

huntnbuddy 01-25-2005 06:14 PM

Ive shot muzzies for about 8 years and I've had blood at impact but most of the deer i've shot have not ran more than 20 to 30 yards.

ewolf 01-25-2005 07:04 PM

You cannot judge a broadhead by the bloodtrail it leaves. I shot a button buck with a stinger and it started bleeding for the point of impact. A buddy of mine from the same stand at the same distance shot a doe with a DL pass through and she didn't bleed at all. Using the same broadhead. Its hard to judge on a blood trail.

datamax 01-25-2005 07:27 PM

You can have the package I have - those things are as dull as a butter kife !

ELKINMTCWB 01-25-2005 07:41 PM

If I did not get a blood trail in 5 foot of hit I would not use the broad heads any more.

I use 150 grain snuffers. They do not fly good over 40 yards. They do make a very big hole with lots blood

savedbygrace 01-26-2005 08:09 AM

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

BobCo19-65 01-26-2005 10:00 AM

Not if you use a Raptor or Spitfire. The deer I shot with the Raptor started bleeding immediately, and I do mean immediately
YeaYea, OK. But it was also mentioned that it was a heart shot right? No pumping station? Anyway, trust me it is not rare to have a deer not bleed excessively for a few yards. Does it happen every time, of course not, and I also would be concerned if it happened repeatedly, but I wouldn't say it doesn't happen. savedbygrace mentioned he used Muzzys. So what now? Would you say muzzies are no good? I guess we can just throw the years of proven success out the window.

savedbygrace 01-26-2005 11:30 AM

Sorry if I caused any controversy. I dont want anyone fighting over little ole me & my comments (Ha, Ha, just kidding). I believe everyone has success using what works best for them. I believe this is a "mental thing" also. I believe, IMO, you will use a product more often & give it more lean on its downfalls IF you have confidence in it. As for me I dont have enough experience yet to tell which broadhead I like the best, but hearing everyone's comments sure helps. For instance, not to change the style of hunting, but all of my rifles and shotguns are browning. That is because I have had good success and good experiences with them. I did use some remington products @ one time but I did not have good experiences with them so now I dont use them anymore. I know we should not base our opinion about a whole line of products on 1 or 2 experiences with just one of its products but I believe sub-consciously we will. Another example, I had a friend that never used browning products. One day he bought his first browning rifle. To make a long story short he had alot of problems with it and vowed never to buy another browning product again just because of one bad episode he had. Some people say he's right for feeling that way, some say he is to closed minded. I dont know where I'm going with this, I guess just to say use whatever works best for you, but again I really appreciate all the comments, they are helping me alot.