Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many of you??? >

How many of you???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many of you???

Old 01-24-2005, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many of you???

How many of you "bowhunters" consider yourself to be the best bowhunter around??
Definately not me[]----I am still learning something new everyday.BUT------I will try to help anyone in need as much as I can.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:39 PM

Im positive im the best bow hunter in my family......Wait !!! im the only one that shootsin my family Damn,...well my 3year daughter is getting pretty good i 'll give her a year or two ,she will schooling me...only a dad can dream!
Old 01-24-2005, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

not me but i'm working at it
i don't think i'll ever be the best in my area i've meet some pretty good hunters
Old 01-24-2005, 05:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: captain backstrap

How many of you "bowhunters" consider yourself to be the best bowhunter around??

I will boldly step forward and say that I feel like I am the best bowhunter around my neck of the woods. I honestly do. I wouldn't say that there's noone better period, just that I think i'm better than anyone else I know. Not cocky, just confident.

Just wondering how many of you feel the same???
Old 01-24-2005, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't say that I am the best hunter, because I have not gotten to meet many of the hunters around where I hunt. I would say that I seem to be more dedicated though and work harder for what I get. Most of the hunters I have met in my area refuse to get off the edge of a field, and refuse to hike more than a couple hundred yards off the road. They aren't in the woods every weekend for 2 months prior to season watching the fields for bucks to try and target. I do seem to kill more game on the farms I hunt, however there are a few older guys in there that have been hunting since before I was even born, they just don't have the time I do (they have kids, wifes, etc) to take off a week for turkey, a week for archery, and a week for rifle season. I am sure if they did, they would all kill more deer than I do. I manage to put meat in the freezer every year I bowhunt, but I certainly don't have a wall full of huge racks.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

My grandfather always said there is no point in being stupid if you don't show it now and again.I guess your just showing it.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:07 PM

Hey Cap'n-
Your screenname should be Captain BS. That way, you could substitute other words for "Backstrap"!
In my experience I've found that when somebody talks themselves up whether it's about hunting, work, golf, or anything for that matter, reality usually catches up with him at some point. I'm not saying you're a bad hunter Cap'n, just saying that you're probably not as good as you think you are! [&:]
Old 01-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Fork Horn

Just like anything else, I think there is always someone else that is better than you at anything. It could be sports, turning wrench, hunting, etc. So, to call yourself the best (in your area), why don't you come up here to northern MN and try to bow hunt the elusive NORTHERN MN WHITETAIL. I'd be willing to bet that you'll appreciate mother nature and her children (deer) a little bit more the next time you think (claim) that you're the best. What a bunch of Back Straps (BS).
Old 01-24-2005, 06:23 PM

I suspect your confidence goes a long way. But you have to back it up too. My nephew got the cocky air from me at rifle matches. I knew I would win. I had to have the attitude and I rarely would loose. He got the attitude but never had the capability to back it up. Instead of working on it, he wandered off to something else.

I am a decent hunter. I am good enough for me. If I expect a 50 yard shot I practice a LOT and can make it happen given good conditions. Yet often I only check the sights some years. And thats plenty good for 20-30 yards or less just depending. But how and what do you define to be the best? largest head, longest shot, closest shot!!!, recurve, sights, no sights, best trailer(I'm fair there too by neccessity), many other variables included. It can't be defined in my books. You can be the best shot ever, yet not hit game. You can hit each animal you shoot and yet never find one. I know folks that have teh cheapest bows there, wally world arrows etc... . They know their limitations(one hunted with a recurve with a small split on the limb because he could not afford more) yet those usually killed when they shot, and usually had good heart shots and short trails. Of course they may not have had BC bucks because there were none around, and they hunted for meat rather than trophies. One of the things that impresses me most is how close you can get a shot. The closer the animal the harder it is. I have one at 3 yards. It was tough to draw and shoot without alerting the deer. And at that range you are sorely tempted to just release as you think you can't miss, oops you still have to aim...

And I think you know from replies, no one likes to hear braggin either. Most of the best rifle shooters in the world that I know always say they did ok. They may have set a new record and just say they were ok. I'm the same way. Just want to know how the others did. I may well have won (probably did--- remember you do have to have the attitude) but I won't let it show through. But you do deserve the round of applause you get when you win.

So what was that question again?? I think it has to be a bit more clarified.

Jeff
Old 01-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well im a good shooter ill give myself that, but far from the best. As long as i make an acurate shot when i need it thats all that matters to me. I dont care about being the best, i mean sure it would be great, but then what? And besides i dont like people that brag they are the best at something. Because most of the time they arent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.