Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 wounded deer.....what would you do? >

wounded deer.....what would you do?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

wounded deer.....what would you do?

Old 01-24-2005, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: wounded deer.....what would you do?

Here in NY, I wouldn't be able to carry my bow at night. So, If I saw it alive in a bed I would back out quietly leave it overnight. I would also know it wasn't a perfect shot. Predators are no concern to me since I can not control that situation.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well it would depend on the situation. If the deer wasn't able to run off I would just jump on it and cut it's throat. I have done it several times it really isn't that big a deal. However, if I thought the deer was going to run off, then I would just shoot it again. That's one of those situations were the law and ethics just don't line up. I understand the concern from a law enforcement standpoint but I am not going to let an animal lay there and suffer. So I would just shoot it. If I got a ticket then so be it but I would have done what I knew in my heart was right.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:36 PM

Gut shot deer don't leave much sign. Kick them up and it will be tough to find. Shoot it again? Bedded down changes all the angles. You hit it anywhere but perfect and it is off an running and you cant keep up with it forever with a flashlight. You quickly end up on a body search. Then forced to leave until tomorrow, you have no place to start. If you leave the deer alone, at least you can start where you saw the eyes and hope the coyotes didn't get it.

Coyotes might get it but I'd play the odds every time and leave. If the Yotes get it, make a better shot next time.

I've done this for years and have only had one deer eaten by coyotes. That was in three hours. You might have more coyotes but to up my chances I'd play the odds and let it lay.

Greg
Old 01-24-2005, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

If I got a ticket then so be it but I would have done what I knew in my heart was right.
Wow, a ticket wouldn't be so bad, I'd probably do the same thing then, loosing priveledges to obtain a license for five years is another thing.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:34 PM

If it was your deer for sure break the law and try to finish it off.

Legal isn't always what is ethical
Old 01-24-2005, 02:03 PM

Some people would leave it but if you can get another clean shot take it. We owe it to the animals were hunting.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your going to be bull doggin one down it makes a lot of difference if its a 30# southern deer or a 250-300 # northern specie. Bobby
Old 01-25-2005, 12:09 PM

ORIGINAL: rost495

If all you say is true, I'd shoot it again. I've done it with one of my wife bucks. I don't see that it violates any TX law or is even close to unethical.
Except it's after dark.

Back out and let the animal lay. if the shot was true he'll bleed out. Bump him out of his bed and you're bound to have you hands full finding him.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:37 PM

i say do what your heart tells u and lets leave it at that every one hear has differnt opinions and everyone has opinions for those opinions.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:03 PM

if u know u made a killing shot....and should be able to tell by the blood u had....when u saw him i think i would of backed out and came back in the morning. only bad thing if it was a quartering shot and u passed threw the guts at entrance or exit than u got to worry bout foxes or coyotes.

Quick Reply: wounded deer.....what would you do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.