Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Being the ever learning student.... >

Being the ever learning student....

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Being the ever learning student....

Old 01-23-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Being the ever learning student....

I have really become fascinated with whitetail deer. I find that I want to learn everything there is to learn about these creatures. What I am wondering is if any of you keep a journal with you while hunting, keeping track of what deer you see when, and under what conditions. For those of you that do, have you found that it helps you be more successful?
Old 01-23-2005, 01:48 PM

Default RE: Being the ever learning student....

Ive tried to keep a journal for the last three years, but about a month into the season, I just get behind, and quit posting in it, I think it is a great help in learning about deer in an area you hunt year after year, and to learn a little about how weather effects movement. I wish I could keep myself obligated to keep it up all season, but cant seem to do it.[:@]
Old 01-23-2005, 06:34 PM

journals are helpful, after a few years you will start to see patterns emerging and realize things that work one year, will usually produce year after year. Don't get too bogged down in details, just stick with the basics like type of cover and sign present and general time of rut phase and food sources. Hope this helps
Old 01-23-2005, 07:02 PM

i keep a journal in my mind about were they come out of and were they go were i hunt at. it really helps u pattern them