HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What's all the hoopla bout fall aways? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/87604-whats-all-hoopla-bout-fall-aways.html)

deer-hunter18 01-23-2005 11:50 AM

RE: What's all the hoopla bout fall aways?

I tried the WB rest and it was ripping me feathers to shreds. So i switched to a Quicktune 4000 drop away or something like that. But i really disagree with the arrow falling off because with the rest i have you can turn your bow a lot with out the arrow falling off.

mobow 01-23-2005 11:57 AM

I shoot 5"feathers on a pretty hard helicle. I need the drop away to ensure fletching clearance.

Swamp Dawg 01-23-2005 12:04 PM

I think the drop away is here to stay. It has too many advantages to be faded out. The biggest advantage is that it allows you to shoot smaller diameter carbons with helical fletchings with no fletching contact. My accuracy improved when I switched from the wb to the drop zone. I will never go back to a prong style or wb rest.

DoninVa 01-23-2005 12:24 PM

I feel the guy that shoots 3D and uses 1.5" to 2" vanes can get away with any rest. I gave up shooting my compound for a couple years and went to a recurve due to my experience with the prong rest. IMO, I'ts the absolute worst designed rest ever thought of. You have to get your fletching just right so they don't hit the prongs, that constant CLICK, CLICK drives me crazy when you shoot:(. THEN there's the wear problem, this has to be the worst problem with prong rests. You try teflon, thong tongs, velcro, derlon and any other thing you can find but in the end, IT WEARS THRU AND THE NOISE COMES BACK WHEN YOU DRAW. Then when you draw quick, if not using some kind of holder or gadget, your arrow bounces off the prongs and hopefully if you have enough fleace all over your riser and all around the bow, it might give you a chance to let down and draw again.[:@] The guy that wants to shoot 5.5" full helical with banana fletch will find out real quick why the dropaway is popular. This is the extreme but with most dropaways you don't have to worry about your fletching choice or if you shoot cock vane up or down or even have a cock vane. I shot a Whisket Buscuit this year hunting and it works well but you have to get the right fletch and get the vanes just right. This is the part that reminds me of the prong rest. The Whisker Buscuit is heads above the prong rest(you might get the feeling I don't like the prong rest) but dropaways have there place and will be around for a LONG time. I have 3 Muzzy zero effects (1 for roller cam and 2 for cable guards), a Trophy Taker and have tried a couple others. It might just be me but setting up a dropaway is about 10 times easier than a prong style or plunger contact rest. The Whisker Buscuit was simple and MUCH easier than a prong style rest. For those that have not tried a dropaway, especially those that are like me, a little set in their ways and in their 50's, open your mind and give a dropaway a fair chance and I think you will be very surprised how easy and simple they work. It might be like the string loop that fixed that serving wear problem we lived with for so many years. You might just say "WOW, why didn't I try this sooner:eek:). Don(I really hate prong rest[:'(]) Armstrong

Cougar Mag 01-23-2005 03:28 PM

I have only tried one fallaway(QAD Ultrarest) and like it, but I don't think the fallaways will shoot any better. Perhaps the best attribute to some fallaways is the full containment factor. I disagree that it will burn itself out, but I do agree that regular prong type rests will always remain. I also believe that all bow rests are way overpriced as are most accessories.[:o]

davidmil 01-23-2005 04:36 PM

I too am a Muzzy fan. I've had one for about 4 years now. It truly is a great hunting rig. It's always there, it's fast to load, it helps eliminate hand torgue induced at the moment of truth from odd shooting positions. It's never failed. The deal about fall aways is that they eliminate the rest from the equations. You no longer have a pivot point for an arrow to bounce off or be pushed off line with hand torgue. NO, I'm not a bad form guy... but I do know what works. As far as being a fad... for me it's a hunting rig I'll stay with. People said wheels, releases, carbon arrows etc were fads at one time.

drstalker 01-23-2005 04:41 PM

Exactly Dave.I agree too about it being a hunting rig.Just like many of the other accessories on a bow it's part of the "rig"that can make it an efficient hunting tool.

i shoot stuff 01-23-2005 07:09 PM

i dont have one. but i hear raves about them

stickum 01-23-2005 08:09 PM

The wb was made for one purpose and that is for hunting.It is probably the greates hunting rest ever made.But if you shoot 3-d or field the drop away is best thing sence sliced bread.

funeralplanner1 01-23-2005 08:44 PM

I don't like the fact that with the wb, the arrow is in contact with the whiskers that long. I have a QAD ultra rest, and it serves the same purpose, but it falls away so it isn't in contact very long. I just liked the fall away containment and that was the main reason I went with it. I don't know, just my opinion.