HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Management Does???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/86731-management-does.html)

IL Trophy Hunter 01-17-2005 03:53 AM

Management Does????

I would like to hear some other peoples opinions on doe harvest, and what your opinions are as far as tightening up buck to doe ratio's. For several years now, I've harvested 4 or 5 does per year off of our family farm. These harvest generally occur before the rut. The theory of course is that in a perfect world you want your ratio to be 1 to 1. Or even a few more bucks than does. I know this is not going to happen. My concern is w/ taking these 4-5 does before the rut each year, am I causing my bucks to go to neighboring properties that are not harvesting as may does, in order for the bucks to find receptive mates. I have other properties that I hunt, I've just always taken all my does of this one property, because of what has been preached in magazines to keep the ratio as close to equal as possible. Should I continue to take all of my does off of the one property(is it benefiting me or hurting me), or should I spread my doe harvest out over the other properties as well. Please give me your opinions!! Thanks.

kansaswiderack 01-17-2005 06:54 AM

RE: Management Does????

I have read input that is similar to your coments about ratios being better at 1 to 1, but I still believe that given the excellent habitat of the midwest and the low stress on our deer that more is better. That is if the land owner is ok with the deer feeding on his property. I personally own two places I hunt and the third I hunt is grass land that has no crops so there is not a crop distruction problem. That being said, I generally take 1 or 2 does from each place and limit the number of other hunters that have access so as to maintain or actually build up the number of deer on these properties. I know this varies from the book on deer management, but this is the way I do it. Good luck.

Buckslayer1 01-17-2005 03:19 PM

I don't shoot does on my property during bow season thats why I have bagged my Ohio bucks the last 17 straight years. The does on my property bring in the bucks from the other property's during the rut.

m00sedrool 01-17-2005 05:04 PM

With the quality of the buck in your pics, I wouldn't think you were doing a thing wrong! ;)

mobow 01-17-2005 05:26 PM

By harvesting does, you not only keep the population in check, but make the rutting behavior of the bucks more intense. They have to compete more for the available does. Your concern of bucks running to neighboring properties is moot, because during the rut they are going to do that anyway. The tricky part, is how many does to harvest. Obviously you are doing something right because of the quality of the bucks you have harvested. The more competition there is, the more scrapes are made and utilized, the bucks have to fight more, making rattling more effective, and they are forced to be up moving even more than they already are. Just my 2 cents, which, by the way, is all I had left this week. [&:]

ShadowAce 01-17-2005 07:51 PM

Depending on how big your place is the does are probably moving off your place anyway at times. More does means less buck activity; they don't have to travel very far around in search of hot does. Most of the activity we see from bucks is the seeking and chasing stages of the rut. The tending stage usually has them secluded and breeding for 24 hours at a time sometimes.

IL Trophy Hunter 01-18-2005 04:28 AM

Like I said I understand the theory on why several does should be removed. My only concern is that if my neighbors are not doing the same, I could be causing the bucks to travel over to the does on their property on a more than regular basis. I know they are going to go over there alot anyway, I just don't want to be the cause of them doing it more often than they would have otherwise. The property I hunt has by far from what I've seen the best sanctuary in the area. A spot that was logged to nearly clear cut a few years ago, yet the surrounding woods was selectively logged, leaving great stand areas on the out skirts of the sanctuary. Come on guys lets hear some more of your opinions!!

IL Trophy Hunter 01-18-2005 03:56 PM

Sorry guys and gals, I can't let this question go to page 2 yet. Please give me some more opinions on whether small scale doe managment on a 300 acre tract is benefecial or potentially negative. PLEASE let me know what you think!!!

mobow 01-18-2005 04:02 PM

I think we already gave them, harvesting does IS beneficial, even on a small tract of land. You can't do a thing about what your neighbors do. A deer's home range is about 1 sqaure mile, and that is when they are not seeking out does. 300 acres is a lot smaller than 1 square mile, so there ain't anything you can do about it. Like we have said, though, by harvesting does you force the bucks to move more, increasing your chances of seeing them. Just my opinion.

Buckslayer1 01-18-2005 05:01 PM

Does make button bucks-- button bucks grow horns -- I hunt for horns