Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 hunting with the switchback >

hunting with the switchback

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

hunting with the switchback

Old 01-15-2005, 06:15 PM

Default hunting with the switchback

Hey guys, went hunting with my 3 day old switchback today. And I shot a 115 pound button buck (get to that in a min.) At 25 yards with gt arrows and muzzy broadheads. The arrow went in the back rib and came out the front shoulder blade. deer only went 50 yrds.THe other three deer that were with it didnt even move. They had no idea what had happened.The switchback with out a dout did the job. Back to 115 pnd button.I had no idea this deer was a button untell i got to it. deer arond here in va, dont get that big unless its 2 to 3 years old. And i didnt see any evadence that it was a buck that had droped its horns When I went to feald dress this deer I noticed it did not have any testciles> and Im thinking that this is the reason why the deer was so big and didnt have any horns. If yall have any input in this please let me know.THe switchback is one bad a%# bow.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:23 PM

Default RE: hunting with the switchback

Congrats on the harvest. I like to use binoculars and check real close before I shoot. That is not always an option however. Those things are going to happen from time to time.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:03 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the harvest. That's awesome news to hear cuz I just picked up my Switch friday. I've shot it a couple of times and man is it quiet. No wonder that the other 3 deer had no clue what was going on. And your nubbin.....probably said what's that pain in my side all of a sudden. LOL!!! I can't wait till mid september this year to start huntin with it. Once again, congrats and keep it up.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:15 PM

Congrats on the deer. My daughter use to live in Lychburg when she was in college. We would always see deer on our visits. I love the mountains in Virginia. They are beautiful no doubt. I have test shot the Switchback and it seems to be one SWEEET Bow. Good Hunting
Old 01-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats! So are you saying it's a doe? Or a Nubby? I'm confused...[8D]
Old 01-16-2005, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Curious. There are all kinds of wierd things that happen sometimes. One possibility is that someone castrated this buck as a fawn. However, even if they castrate a buck, he will still grow antlers, but he will never shed the velvet and they will continue to grow year round. They are called "cactus bucks". He may have been just a genetic mutant. He could have also had undescended testicles. They may have been up in the groin or even still in the abdomen.

I once killed a "doe" that was totally slick on the top of the head. Absolutely no antlers and not even any pedicles. However, he did have normal testicles and penis.

Bottom line is that it was a GOOD thing you removed this buck from the gene pool.