Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Does this bother anuone else? >

Does this bother anuone else?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does this bother anuone else?

Old 01-14-2005, 08:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Does this bother anuone else?

Most states that have large populations of gators need to control just like all the rest of the animals. Even predators numbers need controling just like deer.

The reason that most states make hunting them with rifles illegal and bow and arrow mandatory is because they are often times on open water and they do not want people out there with high power rifles shooting at two red glowing eyes on top of the water from a hundred yards off. Bullets will almost always roccochet off the waters surface and this could be a very bad thing to near by homes and fishermen, etc...

As far as spotlights at night go. It is incredibly difficult to sneak up on a gator in the day time. Especially in a boat. 99% of the time they will spot you long before you get remotely close. They are also incredibly difficult to spot with out seeing the two red glowing eyes. They are masters of camouflage and often times all that is visible is their eyes and nostrals. Spotlighting them at night allows you to first find them and also blinds them so you are able to get close enough to put an arrow into one.

They have to harvest a certain ammount of gators each year and this is the safest way to do it. Rifles would just be too dangerous on the water and doing it in the day would proove to be a loosing battle.

They are very good to eat. If you get the chance to try some you should definetly give it a try. After you taste gator you may just want to go hunt one some day. There's a huge ammount of meat on a gator tail.

I hope this is what you are looking for and helps you understand the gator hunting a little better.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

Flintfinger I hope I didn't come off as being crass either.It wasn't a dumb question at all.Alot of folks think that animals go to waste, the ones that are hunted for trophy reasons.Matter of fact I am a meat hunter, trophys are a bonus or secondary.Read the posts on the site and look at all the emphasis that is put on trophys,I see a lot of "Monster buck" this and "bruiser buck" that talk,and at times it kinda irks me.I do at times wonder what happens to all the meat from dahl sheep,girraf,lions and such.I wouldn't doubt that it is left behind to feed other critters and predators,which is could be considered part of the circle of life.I know that alot of African game does feed many of the local tribes as well as hunters,it's good to see this.Like big bulls said gator is excellent.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey, when someone answers you with a negative post don,t worry about it. Your question was a valid one. Some of these guys got nothing better to do than be negative and choke their chicken. It,s just a different type of hunting. Probably seems barbarick to you because you see the animal struggle so long.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:53 PM

I have to agree that gator is awesome. I have a buddy from florida and he said that if is gets bad enough the game wardens have to go out at night and just start slimming down the population if you know what I mean. I think hunting them for the meat is much better. I saw that show as well and therefore think that you question was a great one. I first saw it and had to think about it for a while. Also wasn't there a guy there wearing some gator control shirt or something like that. Looked professional but not sure. Just me 2 cents worth.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:24 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry FLINTFLINGER

The way you wroat it it dose not seem like a question more as a statment to close gator hunting.I think a lot of people including my self thought this way.Sorry I mad my post sound bad but to the point.

I live in montana no gators here but I have seen many problems that are cosed by people making laws to stop populaction reducution.

you can allways ask a question. Just a note maby use this? then people will not think bad right off get go.

sorry for missunderstanding
charles
Old 01-14-2005, 09:25 PM
Dominant Buck

This is a give and take board. You give your position and defend it. Others will defend their position. You win some and loose some. Sometimes you may come in as a draw. Bottomline your still here.

With that said, I'll put money on my mom, who is 70 years old, to out shoot you in frogs at night time with a light. That was how it was done to shoot the frogs with a 22. Dinner was good the next day. Last time I checked there are still forgs out on every pond.

Good luck
Old 01-14-2005, 10:01 PM

Bigbulls, Thank you. That was an informative reply. Not to say the others werent. I should have thought about it more or maybe they said so in a piece I didnt see, that spotlighting gators was the only way to get close. I knew that. My 4 year old is an Animal Planet Junkie. He wants to be like Steve.

Anyway, I take no offense to any post, other than the PETA thing. Just like me, you guys were expressing an opinion and some valid points of view. Dont get me wrong, Im not some one that cant take some criticism.

I thought I posted it as a question and I thought I selected the ? in the beginning, but I see it is this one [:'(] instead. That might count for some of the confusion.

Anyway, this is a great sight and with this thread I have come from fawn to spike. Yahoo! hehe
Old 01-15-2005, 07:59 AM

Flintflinger too bad no expert gator hunters replied. I have no experience with gators either however, I cannot imagine how to hunt gators that are up to what 12 feet long ? during the daytime or night either one without some sort of system to either kill immediately or to retrieve ? Think about it, they most likely sink when dead, and probably do not die really quickly either. I suspect they're pretty tough animals ? It may not sound as sporting as other hunting, but I don't see see spot and stalk and 1 shot kills/recoveries during daytime hours as being an option you know ?

BTW I've always had a dream to huntand kill a big gator. The leather, skull and meat would be very cool.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:23 AM
Typical Buck

If any of you are interested ,try this link http://www.osceolaoutfitters.com/ Hoppy is a good guy,and some of you may have even seen him on the outdoor channel a couple of times.Gator hunts aren't cheap.His hog hunts are awsome and extremely exiting,and verry affordable.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey flint your question is valid. Don't worry about some, their heads are so far up their own butts they can't see the light of day! Don't worry ask any question you like, that's what this board is for, a learning experience. I wish I could help ya out! Good luck!

Quick Reply: Does this bother anuone else?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.