Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bye

Old 01-13-2005, 04:52 PM

Default RE: Bye

I am pretty much at the last step. I just don't want it to get boring.
Your already at the last step, how old are you?

After checking your profile I see your 16 turning 17...wow you moved through the steps fast.[&:]
Old 01-13-2005, 05:12 PM

A buddy of mine makes recurves and long bows. After reading this post, maybe I will give it a try. I never really thought about it before, until now. He flips me crap for using a compound. He wont use them, he hunts with his longs or recurves.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:34 PM

I am pretty much at the last step.
There's always the Atlatl dart thrower.
http://www.hollowtop.com/atlatlbob.htm
Old 01-13-2005, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well Zak! you know the rule's you leave and ya can't come back .LOL

Zak who?
LMAO

Good luck with the Trad ,I haven't gotten that far yet ,I guess I'm just a rookie.LOL

nubo
Old 01-13-2005, 08:32 PM

you know zak, i wish i had friends like you. Most of my friends are think they are too good to go out hiking in the woods, much less shoot something, and exspecially shoot something with a trad bow. And to think i live in Idaho.... geezzzz
Old 01-13-2005, 11:24 PM

i've been putting some thought into buying a new recurve and getting back into that. i actually started with a recurve when i got into archery and hunting 6 or 7 years ago. i got fairly good at shooting the recurve out to about 20yds but luckily no deer ever offered me a shot while I had that bow with me. the next year i bought my alpine compound and it got so much easier. Ive only shot my recurve maybe 50 shots in the last 4 years.

good luck with it.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zak123

On a lighter note, I will save a ton of money.
fat chance! once you start with trad., it's just as bad.

the bow itself was cheap, but now i've got dozens of arrows, points, broadheads that i HAD to have to try out different things...then i said, hmmm, would it be cheaper to build my own?
so now there's that Apple arrow saw, 6 arrow fletchers, spine tester, deburrers, taper jigs, hot glue guns, (had to build a new "arrow making workbench".....

i think i coulda bought TWO compounds all set up for what i've got into traditional so far.....but when i get a deer with that ol stick and string, man, thats gonna be a heck of a day!
Old 01-14-2005, 05:53 PM
AK

Congrats Zak! Traditional bows are a passion of mine as well. I switched from compounds several years ago. At the time, my intent was to continue shooting both bows. Within two months of buying my first longbow, I put my compound away for good and shortly after sold it. Shooting traditional bows is just shear pleasure.

Though simple, traditional bows require very close attention to form and release. Properly matched arrows are also a must for good arrow flight and accuracy. Some people seem to view traditional bows as toys, and their attempts at shooting them are made with equal conviction. Accuracy comes with a focused and deliberate mindset.

I don't know what you know of equipment matching and tuning, form, release, or aiming techniques. I'll recommend Byron Ferguson's book, "Become the Arrow". It teaches all of the above topics, including an aiming technique similar to Howard Hill's split vision method.

Have fun!

PS - Beware if your interest is ever piqued in selfbows. Their allure has been known to drive men mad, driving them to stay up all hours of night to shave and bend staves of wood into submission, in the hope of creating a well tillered spring that will drive a feathered shaft through wild game.

Old 01-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am pretty much at the last step. I just don't want it to get boring.
All except that elusive bowkill [8D]

Keep at it bro.. It'll eventually come together and when you get an animal, it will never get boring with the anticipation of it happening again.