Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I killed a deer tonight CRAP >

I killed a deer tonight CRAP

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I killed a deer tonight CRAP

Old 01-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I killed a deer tonight CRAP

it happens, congrats on the clean kill though
Old 01-09-2005, 04:23 PM

Instead of looking for buttons try looking at the shape of the head. A button buck will have a flat head while a doe's head will be somewhat round. We all know that mistakes happen but this is just another way to try and avoid it from happening. Good clean kill though nothing to be ashamed of.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:47 PM

this has happened to everyone and i've had it happen to often so i decide to only shoot mature does or yearlings not fawns yearlings which are 1 and a half old will usually be a least small spikes and if they do have buttons still they will most generally be very noticeable i know your feeling though its as bad as killing your nice potential 6 0r 8 pointers because with button bucks you just never know
Old 01-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

Sometimes its real hard to see the buttons. What helps me is to look at the shape of the head. Does have a rounded head with shorter hair. Bucks heads look like they have a big flat spot on top. At this time of the year, if its alone, its probably a button buck. Don't take it to hard, they fool everybody once sooner or later.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

i know the feeling that has happened to me twice this year,one at fifty yards and one not 12 feet below my stand, i couldn't even tell it was a button buck until i ran my hand over its head
Old 01-09-2005, 10:25 PM
Fork Horn

Cut the backstraps into thin steaks, season with salt and pepper, quick fry in some hot butter. And you'll be saying holy CRAP those button bucks are tasty.

Seriously I did the same thing this year and felt a little bad, especially knowing the potential of the area. But it was a great hunt, a good hit and a quick kill. I'm not going to feel bad when it goes like that.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Fork Horn

Happened to me a few weeks ago, I shot a "doe" but killed a button buck...[:@]

I was actually upset about it for a while. It happens though.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:30 AM

Happened to me last year. Little button buck about 5 minutes before last shooting light. It came in and would have sworn it was a doe took the shot (18 yards) and low and behold a buck -- thankfully it was given an anterless tag as I had only one more buck tag open and would have hated to have had to use it on the little one.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm very suprised at the frequency this seems to occur in archery season. Small compact binos may help you guys to further avoid this in the future. Bow ranges it shouldn't be difficult to ID buttons.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, it happens to most hunters at one time or another. Don't beat yourself up about it. Congrats on the deer.

Quick Reply: I killed a deer tonight CRAP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.