Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

white arrows

Old 01-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: white arrows

Reflective colors are way worse than just white or orange. Try this put a orange vest out there .then put a reflective orange vest. stand bac and look at what happens.

If the items you have or use are more of a dull color you will be seen less.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:24 PM
Typical Buck

I raise deer and I tell you what if I walk around wearing blaze orange and even if it is just a hat, there supposed to be color blind but however they see it they see it and it sticks out like a sore thumb espicially if it one solid blob of weird color.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

I'v had deer at 10 yards more than once while dressed like the great pumkin. They see me sure but so long as your still your just a funnylooking something theyre not concerened with. Took my first buck with a rifle from 25 feet or so & he never knew I was there. I dozed off & woke to hear noise behind me, turned out to be a buck. The rest is history. If you dont stink & dont move or make noise you'll be fine. IMO
Old 01-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Typical Buck

For the most part that is true but cover has alot to do with it to. I don't personally like deer seeing me at all espiacilly when bowhunting.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:44 PM
dws

Guess what color a whitetails tail is? Your right it is white. I would not take anything out in the woods that is white. I know we don't like to admit it' but there's an awful lot of hunters out there that don't have enough sense to carry a weapon. I would hate to get stuck by an arrow just because Billybob seen my white arrows while I was walking to my stand and just knew I was adeer and so he let's lose with a 60 yard shot. It probably would never happen but why take the chance. I also don't take black or red when I'm turkey hunting.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:29 AM

The last 7" of all my arrows is solid white for the purpose of being able to track them in flight. But like some others here I was a little concerned about the color attracting unwanted attention. Not so much from deer but from other critters such as turkeys and squirrels and other hunters. So I had the wife make me a cover out of the leg of an old pair of hunting pants. Now I only have one arrow visibile at any given time while I'm in the woods. This was a cheap little piece of insurance and the only draw back to the design is it makes it little harder to get the arrows out of the quiver but I prefer the snug fit over some of the other quiver covers out there. Just my .02
Old 01-11-2005, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use crested arrows exclusively. I do believe, however, that deer are sensitive to the color white. So, I use a detachable quiver, and cover up the fletchings with a camo cover.

The only arrow with visible cresting is the one on my string, and I've had no problems.

I bought a Fletchkover from http://www.whitewatercrk.com/fletchkover.htm to keep the white cresting under wraps.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:20 AM

I've shot arrows with white fletching for 20 years. Never had a problem. Deer don't spot me because of my arrows and I think there is so much white an gray in the woods, it isn't the color that spooks deer. If it isn't moving it is not a problem.

I do think about other hunters from time to time though.

Greg
Old 01-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

if there is snow around they will blend in better but they also make it harder to locate on the ground in the snow
Old 01-11-2005, 01:35 PM

ORIGINAL: patchholder

I raise deer and I tell you what if I walk around wearing blaze orange and even if it is just a hat, there supposed to be color blind but however they see it they see it and it sticks out like a sore thumb espicially if it one solid blob of weird color.
I actually saw a program on this once(Discovery Channel or something similar). It isn't the color of blaze orange that attacts the deer's attention, it's the reflectivity. The type of fabric/dye they use to make blaze orange refelcts a ton of UV rays, much more than usual. So to a deer's vision the color stands out as if lit up. They showed some examples under a UV sensitive camera lense and it looked like refelctive tape hit with a spotlight.

Quick Reply: white arrows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.