HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Question for long time bowhunters... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/85463-question-long-time-bowhunters.html)

Pro-Line 01-06-2005 05:23 PM

Question for long time bowhunters...

I have been a bowhunter for quite a while. Not as long as some...but longer than most. I flung my first arrow at a deer in 1980. I've killed probably 40 since.

Fast forward to 2002...I missed my first deer.(Not couting that first one) No big deal, everybody misses.

Now, 2003...I wound my first. Hit a doe high in the shoulders and never found her. Didn't sleep for 2 days.

I recently got glasses. I am pretty good with a recurve, but would rather go with a compound right now. Should I completely re-outfit NOW...just after getting glasses, or should I stick with what I have, knowing that I'll buy a new bow next year. (I'm not a change-by-year type guy, my current bow is 15+yrs old)

Is there a better setup that others when you shoot with glasses?

Thanks!

mobow 01-06-2005 05:49 PM

RE: Question for long time bowhunters...

First of all, congrats on your success over the years. I should probably be asking you the question, not trying to answer it. I wear glasses, and shoot a compound. I hear a hint of self doubt in your question, and I still say go with what you are comfortable with. Obviously you have had much success with a longbow. I feel comfortable in saying everyone has wounded deer at one point in their career. You traditional boys amaze me....I couldn't hit water standing on the Arch with one of those.[&:]

I have shot compound for 10 years, all 10 while wearing glasses.

wihunter402 01-06-2005 08:11 PM

I started bow hunting in '81. I stopped from about '93 to '00. I have in that time wounded deer. It is tough but I would not beat yourself up about it. Your ratio is one to be very proud about.

As for the glasses I have contacts. I really can't help much with that. Just wanted to tell you that things happen. Best thing to do is learn from it. Congrats on all the past successes. Good luck in the future.

Fieldmouse 01-06-2005 09:13 PM

I fortunately have only slipped to 20/25 vision. I say only because in one year my wife slipped big time from 20/20. With that said, I use a Pollington Red Dot Scope. There were many advantages to this but one that doesn't affect me now but may in the future is that it helps hunters with glasses. It offers a faster draw and shoot then other rests. It forces you to anchor at the same point and if your not there then you either don't see the dot or it's not centered. Check it out. The only thing else I would add is also look at whats available. My Pollington was too expensive compared to whats out today.

Lady Forge 01-06-2005 09:18 PM

I started wearing glasses a couple of years ago after I noticed I was haveing trouble seeing well at a distance... and no contacts dont work for me so I am haveing to shoot 3D and bowhunt with glasses.
In the beginning I was so worried it would be so difficult to shoot well while wearing glasses and I feared it would take forever to get used to shooting with them and feared it would set me back to the point that I thought it would take forever to become a good shooter again.
Well I was way off base... it wasnt for me nearly as difficult as I thought it would be.
I consulted a friend whom is a older gentlemen whom has worn glasses all his life and I studied his form while he was shooting wearing glasses.
I fould all I had to do was learn a new anchor point to start... and thats not an easy feat when you have been shooting the same anchor for so many years it is like trying to learn a new reflex.
The change in anchor point was required... I was looking through the glasses with the old anchor point and the frame of the glasses and the nose pieces were in my view.... I had to learn to turn my face ever so slightly to face the target and this gave me a clear field of view... that was the most difficult thing to it for me. It really only took I would say 3 months until I would draw back and come to full draw as a reflex at my new anchor point.... just takes some training, practice and reconditioning to develop a new anchor point and shoot well.
Good luck and practice well.:)