HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Goliath Says Goodbye... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/85048-goliath-says-goodbye.html)

Antler Eater 01-03-2005 10:35 PM

Goliath Says Goodbye...

I see Goliath, believed to be the largest buck in captivity died last month of unknown causes. He was 7 1/2.

This is probably old news to some, but I remember the discussion this buck brought on. As you recall he came up missing for a few years before being found and a law suit is in progress.

The article said that massive bucks like him have sold for more than a half a million dollars!....Goodness that is unbelieveable!

HANKFAN 01-04-2005 05:55 AM

RE: Goliath Says Goodbye...

As much as I love whitetails, I have never been much of a fan of pen raised whitetails.

Choctaw-Brave 01-04-2005 06:12 AM

I Have Heard Of Places Like Cabela's Paying 20, 30 Even 50 Thousand. To Bring A Half Million It Must Have Bee Some Buck. Any Idea What It Would Have Scored?

justhrowit 01-04-2005 06:24 AM

ORIGINAL: Choctaw-Brave

I Have Heard Of Places Like Cabela's Paying 20, 30 Even 50 Thousand. To Bring A Half Million It Must Have Bee Some Buck. Any Idea What It Would Have Scored?
I believe he was over 400"

j

jhalfhill 01-04-2005 07:39 AM

a lot of monster bucks that are alive will sell for a few hundred thousand. this is so sperm can be taken from them. Cabelas buys dead deer so the sperm value is not there. They pay for the rack so they can mount it in their stores. Thats why they arent worth as much dead.

kshunter 01-04-2005 09:49 AM

Too bad to see a monster die like that. What a brute!

PA Hardwoods 01-04-2005 06:21 PM

It is Sad to see a great deer go even if he was farm raised. I sort of had the inside scoop on this deer. I new he died back shortly after the beginning of December. You see I work for a commercial printer and I design brochures and things for a Whitetail deer ranch in Huntingdon, Pennsylvania Called Griffith Brothers Whitetail Ridge. Well Goliath was born on this farm and was sold to the farm he was stolen from when he was 1 year old for $900. But the good thing is my customer has the genetics from him, including semen which he sells. They also owned Goliath's father GB PA Geronimo and sold his brother also at an early age. My customer told me that Goliaths brother is almost as big but with a more typical rack. My client uses Goliaths picture in his ads and things and he gave me the final score on him and it turned out to be 410 7/8. Amazing!!!! You guys should see some of the deer they have on this farm. Sometime I'll have to post some of the pictures.

rob1 01-19-2005 06:36 AM

Goliath replicas on sale for $995.00 on taxidermy net!

Charlie P 01-19-2005 06:48 AM

As much as I love whitetails, I have never been much of a fan of pen raised whitetails
I second that .