Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Season Over , Now need Some Help !!! >

Season Over , Now need Some Help !!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Season Over , Now need Some Help !!!

Old 01-01-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Season Over , Now need Some Help !!!

Hey All,
Welp season is over i have seen pently of Deer But never got a shot off.
o-well thats why they call it huntin. But Anyways i'm gettin into Archer Hardcore this upcoming 05 and 06 season. And tips on how to go about this would be glad appericiated !!!
Thanks Alot,
StickMan
Old 01-01-2005, 11:10 PM

Default RE: Season Over , Now need Some Help !!!

Ive found out after three years of learning about bowhunting, you will always learn the most from your mistakes. I made plenty of mistakes on some nice deer, even bucks, you just have to adjust for the next time. I would go out and practice shooting all the time, but for instance I always knew my yardage during practice. When I went out to hunt a new place I didnt really think to have any landmarks for yard markers. I missed a nice buck at 29 yds because I misjudged the yardage. Any little thing like this will help you. Be particular and detailed and you will gain confidence in your ability.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

something that always was front stage in my 45 years of hunting was having a good piece of property to hunt. No deer No success. I seen in your other post the property you hunt is next to a publiv hunting area. In my experience thats not the best. You will always be effected in a negative way. Yes maybe someone will chase you a deer on occasion. But tjere always will be YaHoos who mess you up.Set up on the borders,even poach and steal.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Stickman,
I'm sorry you did not connect on a deer with your bow. One thing I might suggest is doing some stump shooting during the off season. I ordered several packages of judo points from Cabela's online site. I have had a blast this past week shooting them. So far, I have not lost an arrow even after lots of shooting. I try to shoot leaves and bits of soft rotting wood. Monday I am going out to try squirrel hunting with them. Range estimation is the name of the game and this type of practice will test you. Take a bowhunting friend and share some competition.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

I hear you Stickman! I went two years without a deer - hunting hard. I made some changes this season and shot four and recovered three(no big bucks though). Here is what I did...

switch to carbon arrows
got a lone wolf hang-on stand w/strap on steps - very portable
registered for a league (off season)
*hunted with a new bow hunting partner!
bought a decent bow
controlled my sent to the max
hunted many different spots
scouted more
practiced, practiced, practiced (w/3D target)
set up new stand spots
spent more time reading the hunting BBS
learned as much as I could about deer habits/behavior/patterns

*this made the biggest impact on my success

2004 was a great year, I learned so much, had some success, but most importantly I had an absolute blast. I'm ready to shoot the off season and can't wait for next September! I hope this helps..good luck with your next season...
Old 01-03-2005, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

1 - Keep on working at finding new spots and scout to grade.(some good ..some bad)
2 - Keep scouting the land you have access to.
3 - Keep shooting....winter league, summer 3 D league, Bowfishing.
4 - Definetley work on any weaknesses or problems you encountered this season.
5 - Lastly....whatever you feel was the #1 reasons was you didn't get any shots, make that a big priority!

good Luck!
Old 01-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would suggest asking everybody around u and then some if they will let u hunt. u can never have too many spots to hunt. if one spot isnt doing so well u will always have a hot spot!! this is good also b/c u can rotate where u hunt and the deer wont be able to pattern u coming to stand the same time every other day etc. etc.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now these guy's are hardcore ,If your getting answer's here then the hard core's are the one's answering them. Deertale and cloud 9 have pretty much summed it up ,and we could go on and on about scent control's ,proper gear and must have gear for the bowhunter ,wind direction's,weather condition's etc,etc. As Deertale has said spend lot's of time reading about animal's and reading the forum's here on BBS whenever you have some time to kill and that will be the beginning of a hardcore bowhunter .It doesn't matter whether your taking deer or not as long as bowhunting is your passion then that mean's your hardcore.I'm pretty sure anyone on this forum could pretty much be considered hardcore ,just look at how many post's they have.

nubo
Old 01-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: nubo

Now these guy's are hardcore ...It doesn't matter whether your taking deer or not as long as bowhunting is your passion then that mean's your hardcore.I'm pretty sure anyone on this forum could pretty much be considered hardcore ,just look at how many post's they have.

nubo
Thanks for the "Hardcore" compliment Nubo! It means alot to me! Archery is more than a sport to me its a way of life!
Old 01-04-2005, 03:58 PM

Now is the best time for scouting for next season. You"ll be able to tell where the bucks been hanging out during season. Adjust for next year.

Quick Reply: Season Over , Now need Some Help !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.