Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Draw Length Question >

Draw Length Question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Draw Length Question

Old 01-01-2005, 11:18 AM

Default Draw Length Question

When Determining Correct Draw Length Does The Means Of Release (Finger or Mechanical) Have Any Influence? I Have Heard That If Using A String Loop Or Similar Nock Device You May Have To Reduce Your Draw Lenght By 1/2". I Can See the Reasoning Behind This Thought Process Since The String Loop May Add 1/2" To The Back Of String. However, Assuming The Bow String Should Come To An Anchor Point At The Corner Of Your Mouth, No Matter If You Are Using A String Loop With A Mechanical Release Or Finger Release, The String Should Still Come The The Same Anchor Point. Therefore, Your Draw Length Should Not Change. Am I Thinking Correct? Feedback Would be Greatly Appreciated.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Draw Length Question

Do you like capitals?
Old 01-01-2005, 11:38 AM

Bad Habit Carried Over From Work. Thanks For Noticing.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the anchor is comfortable for you then dont change a thing.I would assume that if a string loop is being used then you would drop your draw length a 1/2 inch or so to keep the same draw and anchor as compaired to drawing off the string.

The String Should Still Come The The Same Anchor Point. Therefore, Your Draw Length Should Not Change. Am I Thinking Correct? Feedback Would be Greatly Appreciated.
Technically the string will still go to the same anchor point but your draw hand wont.You will have to draw farther back to acheive a proper draw.
I read somewhere ,the best way to acheive your proper draw is to make a fist,place it on the wall and look at the wall with your arm straiht.Now measure from the wall to the corner of your mouth.This will get you within an inch from where you want to be.
Most people are drawing bows at least 1 to 2 inches to long for them.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:43 PM

As Indicated By "Extreme1" Above, The Means I Used To Determine My Draw Length Was By Making A First, Placing Straight Against The Wall And Measuring To The Corner Of My Mouth. It Indicated My Draw Length Should 28". Does Anyone Know Of A Better More Accurate Way. None The Less, If At 28" The String Meets The Corner Of Your Mouth, It Would Seem Natural To Think If You Reduced Your Draw To 27.5" The String Would Be 1/4" In Front Of Your Mouth? I Think Your Draw Length Should Always Remain The Same But Your Hand Placement Would Be Different. In Otherwords, Your Hand Would Be Closer To The Front Of Your Jaw Without A String Loop And Further Back Under Your Ear With A String Loop. Any Thoughts Or Cooments?
Old 01-01-2005, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

You have to start somewhere so set your bow at 28'' and see how it feels.If its too long you will probably start creeping forward out of the valley while your aiming.Also if the draw length is too long and your using a release your hand will be to far behind your head to get a good anchor point. If the draw length is too short you won't be able to hold as steady while aiming because your draw arm isn't far enough back to let your back muscles enter the shot process and help hold the weight. Its just a trial and error process. There is no way to get your exact draw length, although the method above and most others will get you close. This information is based on my personal experience, I don't know if it will help or not.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:54 PM

Try reading the link below. It helped me a lot. I had thought my draw was 28" but I was wrong. It's 27" and much better shooting for me now. From what I have read many archers shoot too long a draw length without realizing it. I spent 16yrs. shooting before I found this out. Hope it helps.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...ingspan+method