Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 On call in the woods... >

On call in the woods...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

On call in the woods...

Old 12-31-2004, 01:31 PM

Default On call in the woods...

Just wondering if anyone else out there has to carry a pager or cell phone with them 24/7, and how do you deal with it when you're trying to enjoy the outdoors? I work for a propane company, and I have to dipatch drivers when someone runs out of gas, and deal with any problems at our wholesale terminal. This was the first year I've carried the phone, and whenever I was out bowhunting, all I could think was "When is this thing going to go off?". It drove me nuts. I couldn't relax and take everything in. Hopefully it's just because it's new, but I can't let this ruin one of the only things I truly enjoy...

By the way, Happy New Year! Good luck to anyone venturing in the woods in the short time that's left. Wisconsin's season ends Jan. 3rd, and hopefully I will be able to get out a couple of times this weekend!!
Old 12-31-2004, 01:54 PM

Default RE: On call in the woods...

heres what you do

turn it off when your hunting in the woods, if they ask tell them that you didnt get any service out there

hey it might work
Old 12-31-2004, 02:33 PM

Do what I did if the phone does not have it you can get it set up for it.
Vibration ringer almost no noise.
When the phone rings all you hear or feel is a small vibration from the phone.
Down side you have to keep it where you can feel it.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am on call 1 out of 6 weeks ,I am a electrion. I turn the cell off And turn the pager to vibrate and hunt .
I was called 2 times this fall ,both times I was hunting . I took 2 hours + to get to work each time but I got there. I told my boss Page me and I will call in ,I am not going to wait at home for you to call I have a life.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

turn it on silent and hunt away if a call comes you can answer it when it is safe to do so
Old 12-31-2004, 05:50 PM

I have the same problem. Pager is on vibrate mode or silent mode, and the phone stays off until I am ready to return a page.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

Bill, I put my phone on vibrate and speak quietly if I have to answer it. I don't turn it off in case something should happen, I might not have the time to wait for it to power up and search for a signal.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah Bill,I hunt with my pager I'm on call for a week every 4-six week kinda like johnch,but I'm a High voltage lineman.Matter of fact I'll be hunting tomorow and am on call this week.Only two weeks left in our archery season,and I gotta try out my new used Chippewa wedge loc treestand.Put it on vibrate in a chest pocket.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I work in outside sales for a Fortune 300 company, and do a lot of hunting during what should normally be work time. Two weeks ago, I sat through a conferece call for an hour and a half listening to the company's vice president yammer on about our new compensation plan as 11 does wandered past. A couple almost made it into shooting range, and I slid the phone into my shirt pocket. After they passed, I got the phone out and put it back to my ear. Yep, still yammering!

Three nights ago I took a doe as her and her partner approaced to within 10 yards. My wife called at that exact moment, and I just knew they were going to hear the phone buzzing in my pocket (everything was blanketed in a foot of snow, so it was extra quiet out there), but they didn't. As soon as the ringing (or vibrating, as it were) stopped, I came to full draw and put some more meat in the freezer.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:47 PM

I never knew so many of us carried phones and pagers!! I always turn my phone to "pager mode" so it makes no noise, and so far this year I've recieved about 10-15 calls while out in the woods. I just think it takes so much away from the hunting experience when you have a piece of the real world in your pocket.
JOHNCH, right on the money about having a life and not waiting at home for things to happen at work. I feel a lot better knowing I'm not the only one with this dilemma. Thanks for the posts!! Happy New Year again....

Quick Reply: On call in the woods...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.