HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   check out my nifty map! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/83615-check-out-my-nifty-map.html)

bscofield 12-22-2004 01:38 PM

check out my nifty map!

From mapmart.com (the great site I'm always pushing above terraserver) I got an identicle shot of one my sites in topo and aerial. I merged the two in PS and came up with a pretty cool understandable site that can help for scouting, etc. (IMO). What do you think?

hunter25 12-22-2004 01:49 PM

RE: check out my nifty map!

Sweet map, bscofield!

However, you have my stand in the wrong spot...I want to be closer to a water source. We can work out the details later.

bscofield 12-22-2004 01:51 PM

hunter25, you should be fine... your right on that creek bed..... see? ;)

hunter25 12-22-2004 01:56 PM

You're a good man...thanks!! Should see plenty of action there.

HAZCON7 12-22-2004 02:38 PM

I like that map - great idea to merge the 2. I don't know why I never thought of it.

SKIDMARK 12-22-2004 03:17 PM

Not to look dumb but how did you do this. Being a first year G.P.S. user I have been trying to transfer waypoints from my handheld G.P.S. to a printout of an airial and I am about to go crazy. If you have any pointers you could let me in on it would be appreciated. Also if you could also tell me how you did your map. Thanks great job

bscofield 12-22-2004 03:52 PM

skidmark, I don't have a GPS so I wouldn't know how to do it with one. What I did was opened to sessions of internet explorer. and put both of them on mapmart.com. I moved to the location of my hunting site. This site uses certain map positions and size that it will default to if your just click to zoom in. Since the topo and the aerial defaulted to the same size, I downloaded them both.

Next is where photoshop comes into play. I took one image and placed it onto of the other one (the topo is on top) and made it 34% visible thereby letting the other bleed through and seeing details on both. There are more programs than just photoshop that do this but I'm not sure what other ones there are by name.

DavidPaul007 12-22-2004 04:52 PM

Wow...I'm humbled by your genius [8D]

That's a great idea, I think I need to go check out that site now...

SKIDMARK 12-22-2004 05:28 PM

Thanks for the help bscofield. While you're here you know anything about Paris County as far as the hunting. Accually its right below there just can't think of the County. I met a property owner a few years ago and gave him a call and he said come on up. Upon further investigation I needed to have a permit. I don't know if you've ever called the local agency in your home state but I knew more than they did. But come next year I'll have my act together and hope to come see what these bucks look like in person I've been hearing about for so long.

bscofield 12-22-2004 08:49 PM

skidmark, not sure about that county. I actually just moved here and this is my first year hunting in Illinois. I moved over here from Missouri and went from good to better (as far as the areas I hunted were concerned).