Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 my girl left me cuz she says i chose hunting over her... >

my girl left me cuz she says i chose hunting over her...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

my girl left me cuz she says i chose hunting over her...

Old 12-20-2004, 08:55 AM

Default RE: my girl left me cuz she says i chose hunting over her...

I tell you what...if while dating this woman she was already laying out an ultimatum, then IMO you are better off without her.

When you're dating you don't belong to each other, and a demand like that is uncalled for. If this early in the game she's trying to make you choose between her and something else you love then she would play that card over and over again throughout marriage anytime there was something she felt threatened by.

Yes, in marriage there will be days you don't go hunting becuase your wife wants you to do something for her. In that sense your family should come first. However, if your wife loves and supports you she will want you to go out and enjoy yourself even if it mean she has to give you up for a bit.

You did the right thing.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Fork Horn

I cant believe some of the responses you recieved. Some of these guys have no clue what it takes to have a serious relationship. It sounds like as long as they can do whatever they want whenever they want with no regard for others, their life is good. Take it from someone that has actually been happily married for nearly 15 years, they dont have a clue. Marriage and family is always a two-way street. Some have mentioned priorities and they are right that family must be number one. You will have plenty of time to do the things you enjoy and be happier knowing you did the right thing. If you feel that you need all of your free time for you then you really dont deserve a family. By the way, I am as avid as anyone I know when it comes to the outdoors but you cant let it consume your life if you plan on having a life that includes others.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with Fletch. If you want to have a great relationship with a self-respecting, intelligent woman, you've gotta bend a little.

Men tend to have addictive personalities. We can get really wrapped up in a hobby, pastime, or any other form of indulgence at the expense of those around us. Hunting is a weakness of mine.

IMO, a lot of this big talk around here about not needing a girl or standing up from your rights comes from those who have made a bad decision and want you to make the same.

Hey, maybe this chick wasn't right for ya, but when the right one does come along, she is NOT gonna appreciate 24-7 hunting. You'll have to break down and learn about COACH handbags, watch girlie movies, and be nice to all of her friends (even if they drive you insane). Over time, she won't sweat ya so much and your free time will again increase. It's just a phase they go through, I think.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

first youre 21!

DONT get in any rush to get married! and yes you have to bend a little, but come on.. if someone isnt gonna love you for who you are.. and i dont care who you are if yoru an avid hunter, thats part of WHO you are. thats not the only thing that defines YOU but it is a part, and if someone cant deal with that part of you then oh well...

hes not married...

my advice Neck, getting married is expensive... but no where near as expensive as the BIG D! make the right choice and pick the woman that will love you for who you are.... and dont settle.. it will only hurt you and those around you especially since you will feel like you settled and probabaly wont be 110% there for them... somewhere in the back of your head you will want something else...

if she couldnt deal with you hunting and as 18 months shes seen two seasons if my math isnt correct.. thats long enough to know if she was against your hobbies!

man am i glad my wife understands ME for who I AM! good luck
Old 12-20-2004, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

fletch920,I guess it what works for the happily married couple.

Marriage and family is always a two-way street.
That's why she understands during the short hunting season she needs to relax.

Some have mentioned priorities and they are right that family must be number one.
That's why I take my son with me.

If you feel that you need all of your free time for you then you really dont deserve a family
Not all my free time just during the pre-rut and rut.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:16 AM

After reading all the replies I just had to reply to this one. I agree with the majority in saying your better off. Your better off waiting as long as you possibly can to get married!! I miss playing the fields sometimes myself.....however I dont regret it because I now have a beautiful son and future permanent hunting partner!! But in your shoes, you have no kids and no attachments so stick to understanding women. As far as fletch's statement, I agree that you have to bend alittle....but letting them know your habits and hobbies up front will eliminate alot of "bending" later on. If a woman cant love who you are, you dont need her. I think Charlie P said it right on.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

Someone's feeling a little guilty.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Who gives ultimatum’s like that? If her approach to getting what she wants is offering ultimatums then she is not being fair.

Another question for you; would you give an ultimatum knowing that the relationship has a 50/50 shot of ending right there? Actually, the odds are better it will end. One who offers ultimatums has a lot to learn about life. Don't be the guinea pig to a self-indulgent, girl who doesn't think things through.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Someone's feeling a little guilty
You talking about me.lol. No guilt here.Just not whipped. You have no idea the amount of time I spend with my family.

You talk about a two way street what my wife does for me during the hunting season is her side of that street.She realizes it's a short season and I love it, so she scarifices for me just as I do for her at other times. Our bow season is just four weeks and the days I really want to be in the woods amount to about 2.5 weeks out of those. I don't enjoy gun hunting as much as I used to so she knows when it comes to that special time during bow season she needs to be a understanding.

She needs me to go shopping or do something with her. The stores are open after the sun goes down, right.

We're talking about a woman that see's stuff in the Preadtor camo Bargain room and orders it for me.She's really happy for me when I get a deer.

So the leaves get raked a little later then the neighbors big deal.

Take it from someone that has actually been happily married for nearly 15 years, they dont have a clue.
Your wife make you type this?[8D]
Old 12-20-2004, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

For some of us, hunting season isn't just a couple weeks.

For example - Spring turkey begins in May, lasting about 6 weeks. Enter summer groundhog hunting/deer scouting. By September, the focus shifts to bowhunting - scouting/spotlighting and finally... hunting. That climaxes in December with rifle season, and I've hunted every off-day since May. We get a two-week break before flintlock and late archery return. Those lead into winter rabbit season. Then, a few months 'till Spring gobbler returns...

So, given the harsh reality that I can (and want to) hunt something practically every day, I see the need to "bend."

Now if that woman of yours whines about a few days of rifle season, and can't give you THAT much space, then she might need psychiatric help, and you probably were smart for jumping ship.

Quick Reply: my girl left me cuz she says i chose hunting over her...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.