HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   deer movement during snow cover (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/82638-deer-movement-during-snow-cover.html)

dkeener 12-14-2004 05:34 PM

deer movement during snow cover

I have heard that deer movement changes drastically with snowcover. Assuming this to be true, how does it change? Do they stay in the woods and browse on branches since they can no longer graze in fields or yards? Do they still visit their acorn trees and try to dig acorns out of the snow?

BigLouie 12-14-2004 07:34 PM

RE: deer movement during snow cover

Right now we have only a light covering of snow and the deer don't seem to have changed up much. Still digging for acorns, you can see it quite easily in the snow. Just be careful you don't confuse the Turkey scratchings for the deer sign. I think with heavy snow fall their patterns may change more, but not with just a light covering.

3 Shot 12-14-2004 07:34 PM

To me, nothing is better than snow for hunting, I have stands set up right on a picked Corn field, they seem to visit that quite often during or just after the snow. They will move where they will feel comfortable, which could be timber or fields. The only way to find out for sure is to get out and see.

Bigfoot223 12-14-2004 07:39 PM

i am a deer hunter in ohio and i found out if the wind blows across the top of a field making somewhat of a bare spot the deer might try to get in on that uncovered grass. and in the woods i know that the deer will just move alot more.

gruhotbigracks 12-14-2004 07:52 PM

hey has anyone had luck in the morning?

MDManiac 12-14-2004 08:42 PM

Yup, 4 of our 6 deer shot in snow. (over a 3 week period). Opening day i saw 20+ deer, only other day was when we had 4 inches of snow, when i saw over 20+ deer also.

Also, all shot between 8am-12pm

cardeer 12-15-2004 12:48 AM

Around here they head for the brush just off the yard.Warm and everyone puts feed out.

deertale 12-16-2004 05:19 AM

I think the snow brings an urgency to eat for the deer. They definatly key on the food sources, digging for acorns up here in N Wisc. As the snow gets deeper (1' and more) they start to head for evergreen cover. Around here they "yard up" in cedar thickets. They also use spruce/balsam fir as a transition zone/bedding area before they hit the traditional yards. I've also seen them take cover in a spruce thicket during snow storms. I don't know how they survive the harsh winters up here with -30 and 100" or more of snow. They are amazing creatures...

finner 12-16-2004 07:05 AM

It really changes there movement here they go from browse food this time of year to higher energy foods like, white cedar and food sources that are help retain there body heat...This time of year they really key on bedding areas that have good thermal cover, in my area here and theymigrate from the farm fields to the deer yards after the first big snow, like we just had (got 2 feet of snow sunday) hunting can be quite tough this time of year with the food sources dwindling, but if you can find them it can be great too.