Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many of you can last all day.... >

How many of you can last all day....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many of you can last all day....

Old 12-14-2004, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How many of you can last all day....

I was just wondering how many of you all can stay in your stand of daylight to dark and how you do it? I've tried many a time to stay in all day and no matter how hard I try I can't make it. My back and legs start aching and I just have to come out for a little bit. So if you can do it please let me know how you deal with the pains and boredom.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:19 AM

Default RE: How many of you can last all day....

I have also tried but around noon when me stomach starts talking i just start getting antzie(sp) and can't sit still anymore so I give it up.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:33 AM
Typical Buck

First off It's not as hard on your body if your in a comfortable stand like a Summit. I can't sit all day if I don't have the confidence in the area and or it's not an "all day" location. Most of the time I prepare myself for an all dayer mentaly. Other times I just see action up until it would be normal time to leave and thus I stick it out. Long hours on stand calls for day dreaming! And like work, if your staring at your watch the time will not pass bye very fast. I've found that if you make it out to be such a big deal, it will be. Just do it and think nothing of it and have a good time. It really turns out to be enjoyable time well spent and we all know the more time spent in a tree the better the chances for success. And for some, like myself success rides on memories in the woods.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I usually always sit dark to dark, if I feel that I'm in a decent location.

In the early season, it's warm enough to read - so I buy a good book (magazines are too crinkly and make too much racket). Once college football season starts, I take a good walkman with earbuds. My Nittany Lions come on at noon, so that soaks up the 12-4 doldrums. Your Mountaineers usually play pretty early, too, and I catch them on WVAQ. One earbud set really low will NOT compromise your ability to hear deer approaching.

I usually look for a "double tree" to set up in, where my stand fits neatly between two trees. This makes it nice to hang up your pack, get out all your stuff and really get comfortable. Take some soft candy and drink and a pee jug.

My cell phone is free on weekends, so I take the phone and my earbud. I make some calls throughout the day, get the hunting reports from all the boys, call the fiancee to tell her that I'm studying or working real hard and that I will be late : )

Finally, I don't have one, but those new game boys look like they could really suck up some idle time.

Another important aspect is to be prepared for inclement, warm, or cold weather. Know what's coming, and when. Take a poncho.

Electronics make an awesome waste of time, but you MUST be careful to not have any speakers going, and use earbuds to eliminate all sound.

As far as comfort goes, you're on your own. I hunt out of a Summit Bushmaster, and I have two Loggy Bayou's. None of them are exactly a la-z-boy, but you just have to endure the discomfort. The key is keeping your mind off how bored or stiff you are, and stay focused on the task at hand.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can stay in the woods all day but not strictly in my stand.The longest I have stayed in my stand was 9 hours,man that was a long haul and I wanted to see how long I can do it for.It was from 5:30 till a little after 2.When I got out of my truck I got dressed and done some good stretches on the ground before I made my walk into the woods.Now remember also this was early in the season as well.I couldent do it now as there is 1 foot of snow on the ground and "COLD" my hands and feet just cant take it.One thing I done that day on stand was when the deer stopped moving or seemed to anyways I just closed my eyes but kept my ears open for a bit,got up stretched some more sat down for as long as I could stand it and repeated the process.
If I was going to be in the woods all day then I would be in my stand till mid morn and go for a little walk,maybe have my lunch on the ground,check out the area,being as scent free as possible and return to stand early in the afternoon.Now walking mid morn I mean away from my immediate area I am hunting,maybe check out the other end of property I am hunting(I hunt on 1 parcil of 1000 acres myself)and other parcils in different locations.
To sit on stand all day takes alot of dedication and I personally dont know anyone who can do it,especially here when it gets cold
Old 12-14-2004, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

WEll i like to bring a magazine or book to pass the time. I know what you mean by being hard on your body. I hunted dusk till dawn for 3days in a row and my body hurt! I am in average shape(could be better, but its the holidays) and i was just drained. I have a summit viper which is very comfortable, i recommend that you stretch really good before you climb nto your stand for a days hunt, have plenty of water and snacks, and somthing to read or write with, i like to write about my days hunt and what i see and smell and all that good stuff.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

I've done it only a handful of times! The the only times I have done it is when I was in my climber. Keeps me comfortable. I bring food....lots of it! Before I go out though I put all my food in zip lock bags. Nothing is noisier in the woods than a bad of doritos!!! Any candy bars...granola bars, etc...take out oif the packages and put in zip locks! Also, I bring things to read. I have also been known to take a nap! Not sure if this counts, but I may climb down for a few minutes and walk around a different area in order to scout it out. This helps shake the cobwebs out and it it's cold out helps warm you back up!

jay
Old 12-14-2004, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do it pretty regularly starting in early Nov. I just take some food and water with me and it's not really a big deal. A lot of the time I hunt with someone else and we carry radios and talk back and forth once an hour which helps pass the time. I have a lot of confidence in the spot that I am going to tomorrow so getting bored shouldn't even be an issue. I found a spot in the bottoms, on a different WMA than I have been hunting, that had upwards of hundred piles of poop and literally every leave turned over in a spot that was roughly 100 yards by 100 yards. Some of the poop was old but a lot of it was new. I am assuming that it took several deer to do this and since a lot of the poop is old I am also assuming that this area has been uppressured for some time. So, I am hoping that mister big is hanging around since the other deer obviously feel safe there. My hopes and expectations are set pretty high for this spot and most likely won't be realized. But, it's easy to stay on stand when you expect it break loose at any minute.

PS Dress warmer than actual conditions when hunting all day. It's hard to maintain your body heat over a long period of time. So if it's 38 I dress for 28.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

or write with, i like to write about my days hunt and what i see and smell and all that good stuff.
In a page of my hunting log book this years I have a bit about buying a small drab color log book to take to the tree. It will pass time when the woods are dead and also after a day in the woods I often forget or put off logging info. What better time than while starring at treebark!
Old 12-14-2004, 10:04 AM

Not me, I'm too impatient. About 4-5 hrs is all I can handle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.