Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Have you ever smelled a doe in heat? >

Have you ever smelled a doe in heat?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Have you ever smelled a doe in heat?

Old 12-13-2004, 07:27 AM

Default Have you ever smelled a doe in heat?

Hunted this weekend. Couldn't believe it, but didn't see any deer while on stand. Sitting on the tailgate afterwards having a snack, and there goes a buck. He was nose to the ground and only 30 yards away. We had the music blaring and we were talking full volume, but he didn't care. I grabbed the bow and my bro-in-law got him stopped with a mouth bleat. He got going again and I couldn't get close enough for a shot.

A few minutes later another one goes through the same small patch of woods with nose to ground. I stalk down a trail to where I had seen him, but he had moved on.

Back to my subject. While making my stalk I came through a couple of patches that smelled strongly of typical doe-in-heat scent. I had never smelled it before except in a bottle. If I can smell it, no wonder those bucks were going nuts. Have any of you ever smelled it in the wild?
Old 12-13-2004, 10:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Have you ever smelled a doe in heat?

Deer when in rut stink to high heaven and there is no doubt that I've smelled deer that have used an area shortly before I was there but I can not tell you if it was a doe in heat, doe not in heat, or a buck but there was no doubt, there recently had been deer there.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

I smelt a buck coming. My first year hunting. I didn't smell him before I saw him but I definately smelt him as he approached.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:35 PM

I shot a buck this year that I smelled long before I found him. He stunk like the stuff in the bottle!

Can't say I've ever smelled a doe though.

Greg
Old 12-13-2004, 01:15 PM

Me neither but I dated the manager of KFC in my home town.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep you can smell them
Old 12-13-2004, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

but was the manager in heat ???????????????
Old 12-13-2004, 05:09 PM

Bucks definately smell rank, but the doe in heat have a sweeter smell to them. We smell tarsals glands year round at the butchers. I can drive past the local apple orchard and smell the deer outside the car.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:35 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-14-2004, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've certainly smelled deer on many occasions, I'm not that good to tell if it was doe or buck unless I see it. I've smelled bucks before finding them, I've gone thru thickets on drives and smelled deer. And many times I have came into highly used areas with tons of scrapes and they certianly smell. This past season was the best. I hit a logging road that for about a 20-25 yd stretch smelled like someone smashed a couple doe in heat bottles in the aisle at the sporting goods store. Scrape after scrape that just stunk.

Quick Reply: Have you ever smelled a doe in heat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.