Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 almost my first and now a recovery problem >

almost my first and now a recovery problem

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

almost my first and now a recovery problem

Old 12-13-2004, 07:38 AM

Default RE: almost my first and now a recovery problem

Scratch my last suggestion. This is taken from the Nebraska DNR site:

"PRIVATE LANDS
Most hunting in Nebraska is done on private land. Permission of the landowner or his agent is required to hunt, trail game or retrieve downed game on private lands whether posted or not (including railroad rights-of-way). Always respect the landowner's rights. DON'T TRESPASS! It is recommended that you get permission before the hunting season."

http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/hunting/...neralhunt2.asp
Old 12-13-2004, 06:41 PM

Well, I tried speaking to the other landowner and the result was what I expected. Not only did she tell me no, but then proceeded to lecture me about shooting those defenseless animals. I was just polite and tried to reason with her why we shouldn't let the animal go to waste, but she wasn't having any of it. thanks for all the replies
Old 12-13-2004, 06:55 PM

Sad that some people are so ignorant...so so sad...

Sorry for your loss man.. that just sucks..
Old 12-13-2004, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I tried speaking to the other landowner and the result was what I expected. Not only did she tell me no, but then proceeded to lecture me about shooting those defenseless animals. I was just polite and tried to reason with her why we shouldn't let the animal go to waste, but she wasn't having any of it. thanks for all the replies
Sorry to hear that! I had a hunch from your first post that the lady was an anti hunter. In that situation I wouldn't have told her I wounded a deer. I would have been a tresspasser during the night.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

well sometimes whats legal and whats ethical are differnt.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:10 AM

Sorry it worked out that way. After waiting so long for a perfect shot, that just stinks.

I just want to say a little about the shot. If the deer was broadside at 20 yards and you hit where you think you hit, the arrow should have hit nothing to stop it from passing through. If it hit the opposite front leg as she maybe dropped, she'd be dead in 100 yards. I have never hit a deer in the ribs or in the paunch that the shot made a whack. Could you have hit the shoulder? The hind leg/hip? If so, that would explain only 3"-5" of penetration.

If it is any consulation, if you hit either of those places she will be sore but will survive. If you hit any major blood arteries, she'd have piled up.

Last question. Are 100% that she was the deer that bolted across the corn field? It sounds like you were thorough in your tracking though, just wondering if she might have cut right or left.

Again, sorry it worked out that way. Keep at it!

(5 shot is right, what is ethical isn't always legal and what is legal isn't always ethical)

Greg
Old 12-14-2004, 07:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

If I can make a suggestion on good reading. At the top of page one is a post pinned to the top of the page called "Recovery, what to do after the shot".....you made the cardinal sin of gut shot deer, you trailed her too soon and pushed her out of the area......you witnessed a gut shot, "a little low and too far back" and you should have waited at least 6-8 hours before tracking.....we live, we learn.....use this information in your future.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Gryan

Are 100% that she was the deer that bolted across the corn field? It sounds like you were thorough in your tracking though, just wondering if she might have cut right or left.
I think that if the animal was alone when you shot it, it would be more likely to bed down after a few hundred yards. Since it wasn't alone, the others running like mad would only push the wounded one to run alone side them for as long as it possibly could. With that shot placement, I don't doubt she's a thousand yards away.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:43 PM

Sorry about your loss. Hope that deer stinks up her favorite garden come spring.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:12 PM

Did you contact a conservation officer? I would have called one on my cell phone right in front of the miserable woman that lectured you. Most states have lows to deal with this kind of a situation. chances are a CO would have accompanied you while you looked for the deer on that ladies land.

Anyway, next time you tag one remember to strap it to your hood and then drive by her house a few times honking the horn.

Good luck

Quick Reply: almost my first and now a recovery problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.