Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 All Fathers out there....I need advice >

All Fathers out there....I need advice

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

All Fathers out there....I need advice

Old 12-12-2004, 05:57 PM

Default All Fathers out there....I need advice

My wife and I just found out we are going to have our first baby in July of 05. I know this don't have much to do with bowhunting, but I would like any advice you can give. I can't wait till the day I am able to take him/her bowhunting? One more question was it hard to find time to bowhunt? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: All Fathers out there....I need advice

It's not hard to find time. It's all about what you make time for. That is also my advice about being a father. Lord knows I am not perfect but there is not a day that goes by that I don't hug my boy and tell him I love him. The other thing is that you are never to busy to stop what your doing and listening to what He/she has to say. If they are interested in what your doing, let them help, your never to busy to teach. Take them bowhunting when they are ready, and if they are interested. If not don't push them into something they just don't want to do. This is not fully about bowhunting, but you did mention it so I guess it's ok
Old 12-12-2004, 06:23 PM
Spike

beleive me your life and hunting is not over! your priorities change but it is for the better !!! you have to make time but it is a little hectic sometimes. i know i really try and do what my wife wants done around the house and with my boy who is three now. even though my boy is the biggest thing in my life i do hunt very hard still. there are no words for how you will feel when your child is in your arms for the first time and that is a fact!!!! about ten seconds after my son was out i knew that anyone that purposely hurt him would wish they were never born at all. also you should never push a child to be into anything , but they will more than likely want to do what dad does. congradulations and good luck !
Old 12-12-2004, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ash2042

My wife and I just found out we are going to have our first baby in July of 05. I know this don't have much to do with bowhunting,
What do mean this don`t` have anything to do with bowhunting? Well i think it has every thing to do with it. You maby bringing into the world a new hunter? Congrats on the great news. I remember the first time i heard those words? WERE GOING TO HAVE A BABY![&:] Well god bessed my wife and i with a daughter, And a son,My daughter is now 14yrs old and my son has just turned 10yrs old this past nov. I also dreamed the day that i would take them hunting with me. Well that day came for both my daughter and son. I took my daughter with me when she turned seven, And that was one of the funniest days i have ever had. I took her bowhunting with me one cold morning and with out going into to much detail? I was able to take a very nice little four pt, I will never forget it. My son on the other hand took his first deer this past yr. A doe, But you would have thought he had killed a 10 pt buck. Now i have to admit this was a day that i had dreamed of every sence he was born. You asked the question was it hard to find time to bowhunt? Only the first yr or so maby But after that it got easier. (LOL)-good luck! and again congrats
Old 12-12-2004, 06:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations, ash! I have a girl and a boy 10 and 7. My girl wants to go duck hunting and my boy wants to do it all. I bought a bow for him last spring for and great year in school. My son is shooting great at 5 yrds.

The best thing you can do right now is talk to your baby while he or she is in the oven. It does make a difference. Enjoy them when they're born. Remember your the parent and not their best friend. He or she is just a kid and you were once one as well. They grow up fast.

Good luck.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

This isn't what you'd like to hear but more dads need to hear it and may read this post. Personally I gave up lots of hunting time. Hunting is recreation and nothing else. Oh yeah lots of guys say they "have to hunt" or "this is who I am" but in the end you choose to be away from family and spend money for recreational purposes. Case closed. The problem I see is that guys cling to the "wholesomeness in God's country" aspect of the outdoors when it's nothing more than a more socially acceptable diversion from family. Try this. Think of hunting as any other diversion such as going to the movies, shooting pool or bowling for an entire weekend without coming home. Or how about taking a week off work just to play golf and all of a sudden you see the picture. These are all hobbies and so is hunting. Most guys think hunting is their right. Sad. Wives are lost for this misbelief. Never confuse your youth's tradition in the fall when you were single with your current position as a new father and steadfast husband. It's all up to you. Time is something that is never returned. You can't borrow it or give it back. Ever. Time goes permanently to your priorities. Don't think that hunting and money aren't one and the same either. Money spent on hunting is also less for savings and college. More guys blow wads of cash for gear, new calibers, food plots, 4 wheelers and leases than ever in history. Used to be you could hunt in used Carhartt and Redwings now new gear is part of the ritual every fall. $2.00 gasoline can ruin a paycheck. Forget credit cards. Guys work hard and get this false belief that they deserve their hunting time and money spent on gear. The only thing deserving is the kid and bonded family. She's conceiving your child. By choosing fatherhood you also chose a pathway. Give time instead to the kid and the wife and sit down with them at least 5 hours for your every 1 you spend hunting including travel time, off season prep, field work, stand building, food plotting etc. It makes a difference. Also resentment can set in with certain wives. Definately not worth it if she's on your back and rightfully so. If she thinks negative about hunting time SHE is right not you. That's life. Another wife next door may have a more laid back view. But what you need to remember is that BOTH wives are right and they both will appreciate your time at home more than they will tell you. You chose a kid and there're not a lot of dad's who make enough changes that they should if they're manning up to fatherhood. I have a 12 year old son and a 6 year old daughter and both love the outdoors with me so everything comes back to you. This thread is viewed by nearly 100 people as I write this and only 5 so far have replied. Just goes to show that this topic is ignored more and more by fellas that really should think twice about life's reality checks. I'm not saying to quit hunting just make a few day hunts instead of multi-day jaunts. Even though you may love it that's not enough reason to leave constantly for all the days and nights including summer scouting, food plotting, tree stand placement, money spent all of which is in addition to the actual hunting days. It's only recreation.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah CONGRATS!!!!!!!!! I too have a 8 year old son. He loves to go on scouting trips. Plus he hears the dear before I do!!!!! Which is a plus!
Old 12-12-2004, 10:25 PM
Typical Buck

Enjoy every minute. Don't waste a second. It will be gone in a blink and you'll spend the rest of your life wishing you could spend just one more Saturday with them while they still thought you knew EVERYTHING!

I know you gotta eat and it takes this and that to keep a family running and they deserve nothing but the best but, that best is the best YOU can give them. Give them YOUR best time. Give them YOUR best advice. Give them YOUR best smile.

You'll never regret it.
Old 12-13-2004, 12:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that it comes down to priorities, be a good father and spend as much time as you can with your kids. As far as hunting goes take them along and teach them all you know!
Old 12-13-2004, 12:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

I just became grandad for the first time wednesday.And I had my wife made him a camo suit already.He is sleeping in it right now.

Quick Reply: All Fathers out there....I need advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.