Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 All Fathers out there....I need advice >

All Fathers out there....I need advice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

All Fathers out there....I need advice

Old 12-15-2004, 09:08 AM

Default RE: All Fathers out there....I need advice

Congrats! My kids went along but never got the bug like I have it.I see my younger friends forcing it on their kids,I don't think that works.My kids do eat their veggies and here's why.

My wife would make a small bowl of peas and would not even offer them any,human nature took over,they love all the veggies now.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are hints of truth in all of these posts. But the most accurate I have heard so far is the one mentioning the distinctiveness of him or her being your "OWN" kid. He or she will be YOUR kid and you will know what to do when the time comes.

There are simply no words to describe how you will feel. But know that it is life-changing. I took my 11 year-old daughter out on opening day of gun season this year. Her first time to even be in the presence of a loaded gun. Yes, I shot while she sat right next to me.

She handled it fine, and what really got me was when she told me how her heart really accelerated when deer came by. We had a 6-point and then 2 does being chased by a similar buck come by. (Yes, I missed) [&:]

She got so energized by the whole thing.

Children priorities are not extremely different when it comes to precedence compared to other priorities. Obviously kids take up a lot of time and money. But if you curb other activities, you can spend some of your downtime to scout and hunt. Some other activities will have to go to the wayside. Simple as that. Your wife will need downtime too; ENCOURAGE THAT!!

Congratulations!
Old 12-15-2004, 01:41 PM

I almost started the same thread about three months ago. My son was born in early June, and I didn't know what to expect when September rolled around. Well, for me, I hunted a lot less! My wife and I both work, and I drop him off and pick him up from daycare(which entirely cut out hunting before or after work) and went from hunting both days on the weekend to maybe a morning and an evening. But in all honesty, it just doesn't matter. Kids grow up too fast!!! In a few short years, like some people posted earlier, he'll hopefully be by my side in the woods.In the meantime, enjoy your time with your child. I guess the thing is you'll figure it out as it happens. Support your wife and spend time with your baby and things will work out just fine. Congrats and good luck!!! It's awesome!!!

By the way, I still managed to harvest a six pointer with the bow, several ducks and geese throughout the fall, and enjoy some quality time with my dad and brothers afield. You can still enjoy the outdoors with the limited time you may wind up having...
Old 12-15-2004, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

I have three children, a 14 year old daughter, and two boys ages 12 and 10. The boys do everything with me as far as scouting, hanging stands, chopping trails, and hunting. I got them both involved in 3d this year and the oldest won over-all club champ and the youngest got second over-all. I love spending time with them and I take them out as much as I can. They will both eventually look at me and say dad, today is you day and get out there and get us a deer. I wouldn't miss these times for anything, as it is just a repeat of me with my dad and grandpa. I also make time for my little girl(not so little anymore), and the things she likes to do. It's all about priorities, and make a stand to be a father that gives his children his time and attention. This is a rare thing these days, and trust me some day your kids will look at you and say hey dad, remember when, and you can just sit back with a smile on your face and say yes I do, and I'll never forget it. Congratulations and God bless you growing family. Bhunter32.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:59 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry for the long post by I thought I'd share a tale(tail) from when one of my kids was born....

My my second child was born, I took family leave from work and had the best time of my life with my wife, 4 year old and new baby. I spent a lot of time with my five year old boy. I also shot my first bow killed deer during that time. We were all ready to sit down for supper, when my wife noticed a doe in the garden. I had been hunting early that evening and complained about not see a thing! See laughed and said there you go. There’s a deer.

By the way she was a vegetarian and a borderline anti at the time. I was just getting into hunting for the food and to help control the over populated herd in N. Wisc.. AND the deer had been eating our garden produce.

I look at the doe in our garden, about 15 yards from the house and shrugged. Well might as well give it a try. So I went to the down stairs exit intending to sneak around the back of the house. I was in a T-shirt and sweats (so much for all that fancy sent-free hunting clothes). I knocked an arrow inside the house and attempted to walk through the door with an arrow on the string - I couldn’t fit making all kind of noise feeling like a bumbling idiot. Finally made it out the door, knocked the arrow again and slowly peeked around the corner. Sure enough there was that doe munching on the garden 15 yards away. It looked up at me. I drew back, centered the pin and let’r fly. The deer jumped and turned ran 30 yds.. to the edge of the woods and collapsed. lolled it head and was still. My family was in the upstairs window whooping and hollering, pounding on the glass. It was awesome! They all participated in my first kill. They were making so much noise I thought they’d spook the deer to run, but it was down for good.

I went to get my 4 year old. We blessed that deer and gave a prayer over its body, thanking it for the life it had given, then he held the lantern, while I gutted. I brought the dripping heart into my wife, sure enough a neat broadhead shaped hole right through the heart (a lucky first shot) We had a great meal of tenderloins and heart that night.

It was a life changing experience for all of us. I shot my first deer, my wife saw first hand how humane and quickly a bow and arrow can kill. She’s a been a venison eater ever since. My 4 year old is now 9 (and the baby’s 5) they both shoot archery in the back yard with me and look forward to bow hunting when the time comes. That first deer was a life changing spiritual experience that still affects me today!
Old 12-16-2004, 06:23 AM

Some great posts in here...........I didn't read all of them in their entirity though.......so I apologize if a repeat anything already said !

Advice : Enjoy ever minute and don't take it for granted............they grow SO fast that you have have to treat each day like it's special "because it is" !

My little buddy is a hair over 3 now and he and I have a big time ! He loves doing what I do ..........so he has some bows that shoot nerf arrows.......he loves riding the 4 wheeler........he loves shooting the BB gun.............he goes and puts corn out in the backyard for the deer (and we shine the flashlight out there at night to try and spot them) ........and he loves to go "hunting" (5 minutes in the backyard sneaking up on our cat or cricket or whatever) ! It really is a lot of fun and I haven't had to promote any of it...........it has just fallen into place on it's own.........and it is freakin' awesome !
Old 12-16-2004, 10:30 AM

Thanks to everyone that posted, I read every post and was able to take something from each one. I am a little nervous about being a dad but I geuss that is to be expected. Once again I really appreciate all the posts. Thanks Ash