HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   The south Tx 190"+ club (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/82313-south-tx-190-club.html)

TXhighrack 12-11-2004 09:31 PM

The south Tx 190"+ club

I saw the post about all the big bucks taken in Ohio, I thought I might add some that have been taken down here this year. All of these bucks were taken in the south Texas area and all score 190"+ but some are much bigger then that.

Wait, I've got more :D

camo12 12-11-2004 09:36 PM

RE: The south Tx 190"+ club

Are those deer from public grounds?

BowHuntingFool 12-11-2004 09:40 PM

Are those deer from public grounds?
:D:D:D:D

Sure are nice deer though!

TXhighrack 12-11-2004 09:42 PM

A couple more...........

These next 2 deer were taken off of the same ranch....

buckeye 12-11-2004 09:44 PM

Just curious to see how many were "free ranging"?

Some great looking bucks for sure[8D]

nubo 12-11-2004 09:57 PM

Man those are some of the best rack's I've ever seen .Can you tell me whether they were bow or gun harvest's? It doesn't really matter which they're awsome I'm just curious.

nubo

TXhighrack 12-11-2004 09:57 PM

There are about 15 more bucks that I know off that break the 190" mark, of these bucks 7 of them score over 200". It has been an incrediable year for/in south Texas, and we still have a month of deer season left. If your interested in looking at more huge bucks go to http://www.loscazadores.com Here you can look at hundreds of photos of deer all taken this year, most score over 150". The site is also updated every monday with the previous weeks entries.

Greg / MO 12-11-2004 10:55 PM

Wowza! That one fifth from the bottom is the nicest one, in my opinion! ;):D

Idaho hunter 58 12-11-2004 11:28 PM

The chic is soooo hot! DAMN! Someone hose her down.

I wouldn't mind sharing a stand with her!

cardeer 12-12-2004 01:07 AM

NICE deer,I lived there .I would say probably known of those deer are public deer.And My screen aint big enough to see tthe babe.All I see is a arm

springer01 12-12-2004 07:45 AM

The hot chic's deer was taken on a low fence ranch, as were a few others...

Antler Eater 12-12-2004 07:47 AM

Very nice bucks each and every one.

If the bodies on those Texas deer ever catch up to the racks you guys down there are going to have to start carrying bigger weapons! ;)

Is it just me or is that buck in picture #6 smiling??.... I guess I would be smiling too if a beautiful young lady, with bullets hanging around here bare midriff had her paws all over my bo**........er...ahem.... me. [8D]:D:D

Pa Trophy Man 12-12-2004 11:08 AM

If they grow blondes like that on the Ranch, sign me up....

Carpmaster 12-12-2004 11:25 AM

The heck with deer hunting, how about deer hunting for BLONDES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG I want one like that, the buck is ok too!!!!!!

Burdi2 12-12-2004 11:43 AM

Damn fine animals. Some of the comments compare body size to rack. Being a native Texan and having spent most of my life in rural South Texas areas of this great state (please notice I let the nation thing go to help keep this thread focused;)) I'd hold that these are incredible bucks. The Los Cazadores big deer contest will have the premier deer. It is one of the largest and most well-known contests.
Racks are influenced by genetics and forage. Feeding is legal in Texas - though most agree hunting a feeder taints the trophy. Typically, feeder hunting is considered unethical. At my lease we use feeders to keep the game in the area. This includes the turkey, deer, and feral hogs. Between the food plot research and the combination of minerals into feed, racks are achieving incredible size! This includes low fenced ranches. However, Bergman's law prescribes that size is proportional to the proximity to the poles. Bottom line: the closer you are to the north or south pole, the greater and animal's size. Based upon that premise, the Texas deer should never get to the size of deer that are found in the Kansas and northern latitudes. Furthermore, we've had very adequate and in some cases record rainfall after many years of drought in Texas. This improves forage for non-fed deer, too.
Texas has a huge amount of public land and even manages wildlife in reserves and state parks via "draw hunts." I've seen nice deer taken from both.

The quotation below further illustrates Bergman's law:
"Within its range, the whitetail has several subspecies such as the Coues
of the desert southwest. In all there is over 30 recognized subspecies, over half of which are found north of Mexico. To hunters this is not especially important, although the whitetail is the perfect example of Bergman's Law. This biological principle says that the farther north an animal occurs within its range, the larger its body will be to help it retain body heat during cold weather. The farther south an animal occurs in its range, the smaller its body will be, and the longer it appendages will be help it disperse body heat during hot weather. In a nutshell, this is why Prairie Province whitetail often top 300-pounds, with the United States' smallest known whitetail subspecies, the diminutive Key deer of southern Florida, rarely exceed 45-pounds." - www.allwhitetail.com

I know that the hunters are proud of their trophies regardless of harvest technique technique. I'd certainly be proud to have a deer like any one of these!

David

wally83 12-12-2004 02:31 PM

nice RackS! haha

Bobby5 12-12-2004 02:40 PM

Nice rack id defiantly mount the blond one.

TXhighrack 12-12-2004 08:06 PM

LOL, I knew that picture would get ya'lls attention. Her family owns an 8,000 acre ranch in the heart of big buck country. It seems like she takes a 160"+ buck every year. I think she gives the Martin bow girl a run for her money.:D Imagine having those two as hunting buddies.....

Anyway, all of the bucks that I posted came from private land in south Texas. There is only about 20,000 acres of public land in south Texas and you would have a better chance of winning the lottery then getting the chance to hunt one of those WMAs. Some of the bucks that I listed where killed by bows, the others where of course killed by rifle. If you go to www.loscazadores.com you will see several 200"+ bucks that I did not list, and come tommorrow night they will add more bucks that were entered into the contest last week.

This buck was killed on public land in south Texas. The buck grossed 160" and was 3 1/2!!

Heres another lady hunter with a buck she killed on her families south Texas ranch......

Pa Trophy Man 12-12-2004 09:03 PM

Who wants to pack up and move to Texas with me?

Hiawatha 12-12-2004 09:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Pa Trophy Man

I'll drive buddy.

neck4752 12-12-2004 11:12 PM

That first blonde girl looks about my age! And I think that we have something in common!
Set me up with her!!!
hahaha
Jim

finner 12-13-2004 06:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Pa Trophy Man

Me Me...i wanna go.

IF we get enough people we could take a bus!!;)

adams 12-13-2004 06:23 AM

I wish I could afford to buy one of these and turn him free in the woods of maine for breeding purposes. My guess is they've got good genes and an abundance of high protien foods.

Those are some very fine specimens.

avid_bowhunter2005 12-13-2004 06:29 AM

Yeah, I posted ohio's pics, and all of them were free ranging bucks. I think a free ranging-trophy is more of a trophy than a bottle-fed buck..., but I know some of you guys in tx just use high fences. Not us...

oneshot/one kill 12-13-2004 12:16 PM

Yeah those are all nice deer, but not the only ones with a nice rack...damn she is hot

kshunter 12-13-2004 01:35 PM

Awesome Deer! Too bad most were probably killed behind fences. But I guess everybody has his (or her) own way of hunting, even though it may not be your own.

OntElk 12-13-2004 02:39 PM

I'll drive buddy.

Leave me directions to your hunting grounds when you go Hiawatha . I'll take the big rack and big bodies from the free-ranging "bushes of Saskatchewan" anyday.

hats off to you Texas hunters. I'd also have no issue with racks like that regardless of what size thier bodies are.;)

jroot 12-13-2004 03:36 PM

i don't know if it's just me but i don't get this ...deer contest for high-fence hunting operations. i guess if you want to win you go to all the outfitters and check their inventory lists before booking your hunt.

not trying to put anyone down but i find it hard to be the least bit impressed with bucks taken behind a fence.

springer01 12-13-2004 05:32 PM

Not all these deer where taken in high fenced ranches like I said earlier the blonde's was killed at a low fence ranch. If you go to the website you can see what deer were taken on high fence and low fence, archery ect... Just cause its a big deer from Texas doesnt have mean it was killed on a high fence...lol and 90% of Texas hunters hunt low fence areas..

TXhighrack 12-13-2004 08:52 PM

avid_bowhunter2005:

Yeah, I posted ohio's pics, and all of them were free ranging bucks. I think a free ranging-trophy is more of a trophy than a bottle-fed buck..., but I know some of you guys in tx just use high fences. Not us...
LOL, do I smell a little envy??;)

I never said anything about these deer coming from "high fenced pens" nor did I say anything about them being "bottle feed". These are just things that some of you guys, who think you know everything, assumed for no other reason other then the fact that these deer are from Texas.

About 50% of the bucks that I posted came from a none high fenced ranch. The bucks that I posted that were killed behind a high fence, came from ranches that are bigger then some counties in the eastern states. The first picture is a buck that grossed 217" and it came from a 50,000 acre high fenced ranch. Now for all I care, the great wall of China could be around the ranch and I still would consider all the deer taken as "fair chase". Just because you have a 20 year old 8 foot fence around the place, dosent mean the bucks are going to be tame on the 70 square miles that the ranch makes up.

i don't know if it's just me but i don't get this ...deer contest for high-fence hunting operations. i guess if you want to win you go to all the outfitters and check their inventory lists before booking your hunt.
LOL, yeah thats exactly how it works. "Hey BOB, you got a 200" buck tied to the Mesquite tree out side; I really want to spend $5,000 to shoot him, because I might win a $50 jacket at this Big Buck Contest that I entered". LOL, on second thought I dont think thats how its done.

Elknewbie 12-13-2004 09:06 PM

Nice pics

TXhighrack 12-13-2004 09:09 PM

hats off to you Texas hunters. I'd also have no issue with racks like that regardless of what size thier bodies are.
LOL, for all I care the bucks could have a live weight of 50#, aslong as they have a huge set of antlers:D

Now alot of people make fun of Texas deer because they have small bodies. I dont know if you guys know this, but us Texans dont give a damn. Down here in south Texas a mature buck can easily field dress over 200#. My buddy shot a "management" 9 pointer off of the ranch he manages. The buck grossed 142", had 43" inches of mass, had a live weight of 245#, and field dressed 207#. Look at the link to the local deer contest in this area, every buck who is leading or that is in 2nd place is going to field dress over 200#. One buck shot 2 years ago won the deer contest, when he field dressed 226#. THATS HUGE...

Of course northern deer are going to weigh more then South Texas deer, its the same reason why the women up there weight more then the ones down here :) It gets COLD up there. If a buck from PA was brought to TX he would die and vise versa. The deer up north have to be big or they will die during the winter. We dont have severe winters and they deer are never stressed during this time. We do however have severe droughts, and the deer must be "small" in order to survive them.

Jluke04 12-14-2004 09:31 AM

Long live Texas =P

avid_bowhunter2005 12-14-2004 09:43 AM

Look, sorry tx's guys, I didn't mean to be offensive, it's just that I prefer free-ranging *all the time*, big body weight *all the time* over a big, but usually skinny body/racked deer. I have a cousin from Houston, TX and he bowhunted there and loved it. I just think it deals with the fact of the first deer I seen in life was a big-bodied deer from Ohio. I think fair-chase is determined by the fact that a deer can run and not be caught up with, not cornered by a fence or nothing. Fair chase as I think goes, is when an animal was free-ranging and has the unlimited room to escape from danger if the case need-be. Sometimes even a low-fence can keep deer in, don't get me wrong we have a lot of regular farm fences here in Ohio, but a 8-12 foot fence is just making it kind of cheap; especially since the fact you guys in tx can use those high-powered rifles you shouldn't need the aid of high-fences. Again- sorry for any hard feelings toward ya's,

Your fellow hunter-
Avid_bowhunter2005

GR8atta2d 12-14-2004 10:21 AM

I just don't understand who said we have to chose between northern or southern or Southwestern deer. Give me the chance at a trophy quality deer and the funds to chase him and I don't care where he is.