Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Your opinion on the easiest killed deer in the woods. >

Your opinion on the easiest killed deer in the woods.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your opinion on the easiest killed deer in the woods.

Old 12-11-2004, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: You opinion on the easiest killed deer in the woods.

But this is really a relative question because it has everything to do with pressure the deer recieve.
If all of the deer herd are receiving equal pressure what would it matter?
Old 12-11-2004, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

A 1.5 year old buck thats "rutted up"... a doe bleat or two and he's in your lap.
I don't know where your huntin but It's not like that where I hunt!
I was thinking the same thing, a yearling basket racked buck comes running into to the first calls you throw at 'em nearly everytime around here! It seems that their reactions are actually even laughable at times. Nodoubt about it , they can be very entertaining during the slow hours on stand!
Old 12-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

If all of the deer herd are receiving equal pressure what would it matter?
Because a deer has a typical homerange of miles and will not recieve the same pressure as the deer that just got bumped 20 acres over, this is highly unlikely. Except of course for public land in WI during firearms season, then it's mass hysteria!
Old 12-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

For me I hunt state land that gets alot of pressure during bow let alone gun season. So when you say equal pressure are you referring to a few guys or a few hundred guys? I've had a bunch of does under me with yearlings(doe & buck fawns) when the mature Does bailed, the fawns just stood there! I've also had 1.5 year old bucks walk within 30 yards of my stand and bail just because of they KNEW something wasn't right. The yearlings had no sense to run even when their mother ran. I've also had mature bucks walk around me looking for the doe I made him think was there using the can call! Never offering a shot! So its a combination of things! Right stand, right wind, right time of day, time of season, right luck! There is alot more to take into consideration than to just asking a question. A good question no matter what!
Old 12-11-2004, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Because a deer has a typical homerange of miles
For the most part I would disagree with "miles". 600 acres is considered a pretty large homerange and this isn't even 2 square miles of land.

Sure it has been documented but I would not consider this the norm. With the exception of rutting bucks or yearling dispersal.

But then again I would also not consider yearling dispersal and a rutting buck going through another area searching for does their "homerange" either.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Your opinion on the easiest killed deer in the woods.

Any deer, that doesn't know I'm there.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:32 PM

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

I am not asking what is the most abundant deer in the woods but rather the one who is most susceptible to being taken by a hunter.
Common sense should tell you that the most abundant deer will be the easiet to kill by sheer probabilty alone. If there are 100 1 lb bass in a lake and 2 7 lb lunkers which do you think will be the easiest to catch??

You have to see something before you can kill it..........so whatever you stand the best chance of seeing is what will be the easiest to kill.

This of course will be different in nearly every area out there.

I have said many times that I believe the yearling (1 1/2 years old) buck is the most foolish deer in the herd.
Even if that were true which I don't agree it is.......by sheer numbers alone you stand a much better chance of taking a doe or fawn if you are just out to whack a deer........thus making it easier to kill one of them.

I think it is laughable that you would say a 1 1/2 year old buck is easier to kill then a motherless fawn.

Even funnier is how dumb and easy to kill you rate these "yearlings" but suddenly a year (or 2 max) later they are the most wise, crafty, cunning, beasts that only the bravest of hunters even dare attempt to harvest.

Easiest buck I ever killed was a mature 13 pointer...........so that's what gets my vote
Old 12-11-2004, 10:40 PM

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

For one he is a very curious animals, this fact alone will get many killed every season.
Curiosity is what kills most bucks of any age.

most states harvets ratios at 60 to 80% yearling bucks!
Could you post a link where you got this info.

IF, they get past this first year carrying a "rack" they become sooooo MUCH wiser and are well on their way to becoming a trophy.
Yea........some magical spell gets cast over them during their second winter as they attend Whitetail University and they suddenly are transformed into an almost unhuntable entity that mere mortals are no match for.

Old 12-11-2004, 10:48 PM

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

For me I hunt state land that gets alot of pressure during bow let alone gun season. So when you say equal pressure are you referring to a few guys or a few hundred guys? I've had a bunch of does under me with yearlings(doe & buck fawns) when the mature Does bailed, the fawns just stood there! I've also had 1.5 year old bucks walk within 30 yards of my stand and bail just because of they KNEW something wasn't right. The yearlings had no sense to run even when their mother ran. I've also had mature bucks walk around me looking for the doe I made him think was there using the can call! Never offering a shot! So its a combination of things! Right stand, right wind, right time of day, time of season, right luck! There is alot more to take into consideration than to just asking a question. A good question no matter what!

He has no idea what you are talking about. He hunts private farm lands in Ohio. Little to no pressure and a realistic chance at seeing a mature buck on any given day on stand.

If he was ever forced to hunt some of the battlefields many hunters have as their only option he would have a more realistic viewpoint of deer hunting as opposed to his current myopia.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

deffinetly the loner button buck

Quick Reply: Your opinion on the easiest killed deer in the woods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.