HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How high in tree stand? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/82140-how-high-tree-stand.html)

dohcrxl 12-10-2004 10:12 AM

How high in tree stand?

I'm at 20 feet but am paranoid about deer seeing me. I know that I should only move when they are in my blind or are busy foraging. However, with the posts I've been seeing about deer being able to see a hunter even making the slightest movement, I'm panic stricken. How high is high enough that when you move, you're not at their normal sight level? I would imaging you'd have to be right on top of them for that to happen?

John Deer 12-10-2004 10:53 AM

RE: How high in tree stand?

20 feet is high enough if you've got some cover to break up your outline. You don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. I usually try to get 20 feet up, it not only will help with you conceal your movement, but it will help disperse your scent farther away from your stand location. In my opinion, your OK at 20 feet as long as you've got some limbs around you to break up your outline.

VFT_MD 12-10-2004 11:50 AM

Depends on the terrain and other things.I personally like to be 25-30ft. up.

Double Creek 12-10-2004 01:07 PM

Sometimes being 8ft is better than 20ft. It all depends on the setup. In open timber, I like my platform to be about 22-23 ft. The last few years I have been getting lower and lower. I have killed 3 deer in the last 2 years at less than 10ft up. Good cover is the key.

Fieldmouse 12-10-2004 01:18 PM

rarely will I ever be below 30'. Early in the fall when the leaves are up you don't need to be as high but when they're off the trees you need to be up high in my areas. Too many deer around. They still look up and know you shouldn't be there but they don't keep at it with the head bobs and qiuck looks.

martin.8 12-10-2004 04:05 PM

I usually set up 12-15 feet year round. Getting to high in the tree you can miss the double lung shot in my opinion. I have talked with bow hunters that sit high, 20-25 feet high and have only punched out one lung.
Depends on the hillside or incline if any.

dkeener 12-10-2004 04:13 PM

Depends on the cover around you. 20 feet is fine if you have limbs, etc. to help shield you. It also depends on the tree diameter size - bigger tree is better to hide your silloutte.

DelcoJim 12-10-2004 05:22 PM

stand usually at 15 ' but have gone higher, been up a tree in kansas 15' and was just about 8 ' above the trail (tree base in river bed) , still 6 does and 1 unfortunate 8pt went past and did not see me, 1 felt a stabbing pain , but did not see me
My Bro was in the same tree and had the exact same thing happen 2 days earlier, yup another 8 with a stabbing pain
was also "made" by an 8pt in Pa. he either heard or saw movement when i drew back on him , did not live to tell tho, was about 15' up and coming towards me .
others were on trail going left to right ,
only had the 1 deer see me

would say that most important thing is movement by the hunter not the height you are, adjust your stand to minimize movement or conceal it , if that means higher ,then up you go